Photo Mechanic > Support

switching on and off DNG rendering for individual images

(1/5) > >>

myotis:
With PM5 you could switch raw rendering off and on with the "Q" shortcut key (I'm on a Mac).  Can you do something similar in PM6 with the DNG rendering of Raws, or is it working in the background all the time?  I can only find instructions on how to install and activate the DNG converter, but no description on how it works

I have suddenly come up against the issue of the embedded jpegs in ORF files being too poor quality to critically assess sharpness.  I assume the DNG convertor will help with this?  The description on the dialog box really only describes its value in integrating with changes made in Adobe products.

There is also an option to choose a "built-in Renderer", but as soon as I enable Raw Rendering, I am asked to install the DNG converter.

Very happy to just get pointed to appropriate instructions, or a previous answer on this. I haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks,

Graham

Kirk Baker:
Graham,

--- Quote from: myotis on April 29, 2020, 06:43:42 AM ---With PM5 you could switch raw rendering off and on with the "Q" shortcut key (I'm on a Mac).  Can you do something similar in PM6 with the DNG rendering of Raws, or is it working in the background all the time?  I can only find instructions on how to install and activate the DNG converter, but no description on how it works

I have suddenly come up against the issue of the embedded jpegs in ORF files being too poor quality to critically assess sharpness.  I assume the DNG convertor will help with this?  The description on the dialog box really only describes its value in integrating with changes made in Adobe products.

There is also an option to choose a "built-in Renderer", but as soon as I enable Raw Rendering, I am asked to install the DNG converter.

Very happy to just get pointed to appropriate instructions, or a previous answer on this. I haven't been able to find anything.

--- End quote ---

The 'Q' key option is not in PM6.  The built-in Renderer was a technology that we were working on but didn't make it to a stage that provided enough quality or performance and has been turned off.

You might consider converting your ORF files to DNG.  They'll have very usable previews and will look the same in PM as they do in Adobe products.

-Kirk

myotis:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on April 29, 2020, 09:06:24 AM --- The 'Q' key option is not in PM6.  The built-in Renderer was a technology that we were working on but didn't make it to a stage that provided enough quality or performance and has been turned off.

You might consider converting your ORF files to DNG.  They'll have very usable previews and will look the same in PM as they do in Adobe products.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Kirk, it would be nice if the "Q" key could be re-instated, checking sharpness is core tool for the rapid culling that I use PM for.

I don't especially want to convert ORFs to DNGs just to check the occasional image that needs a better quality image to check sharpness, and although some of my images go through Photoshop, most of my processing is in Capture One so previews looking as they do in Adobe products is of limited value to me. But I appreciate it will be of value to the majority of your users.

But I would have thought a bigger majority would want to assess sharpness in all their images, and I think this low-quality preview is a feature of Fuji and Sony as well as Olympus, so I look forward to hopefully your built in renderer might still become available.

Cheers,

Graham

Kirk Baker:
Graham,

--- Quote from: myotis on April 29, 2020, 09:34:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on April 29, 2020, 09:06:24 AM --- The 'Q' key option is not in PM6.  The built-in Renderer was a technology that we were working on but didn't make it to a stage that provided enough quality or performance and has been turned off.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Kirk, it would be nice if the "Q" key could be re-instated, checking sharpness is core tool for the rapid culling that I use PM for.
--- End quote ---

Therein lies the problem.  We currently only have the ability to use the Adobe DNG Converter for rendering and it takes, on average, four seconds to convert a RAW file to DNG (which PM then extracts the preview from and deletes the converted file.)  So you're not going to get rapid culling if you have to stop and wait for four seconds to get your preview.

--- Quote from: myotis on April 29, 2020, 09:34:26 AM ---I don't especially want to convert ORFs to DNGs just to check the occasional image that needs a better quality image to check sharpness, and although some of my images go through Photoshop, most of my processing is in Capture One so previews looking as they do in Adobe products is of limited value to me. But I appreciate it will be of value to the majority of your users.

But I would have thought a bigger majority would want to assess sharpness in all their images, and I think this low-quality preview is a feature of Fuji and Sony as well as Olympus, so I look forward to hopefully your built in renderer might still become available.
--- End quote ---

Thanks for your feedback.

-Kirk

myotis:

--- Quote from: Kirk Baker on April 29, 2020, 09:59:04 AM ---Therein lies the problem.  We currently only have the ability to use the Adobe DNG Converter for rendering and it takes, on average, four seconds to convert a RAW file to DNG (which PM then extracts the preview from and deletes the converted file.)  So you're not going to get rapid culling if you have to stop and wait for four seconds to get your preview.

--- End quote ---

Personally, I don't think I would mind the 4s wait if I have full control over when it happens, ie convert one or two images to  DNG, check the image(s) and then delete the DNGs.

it's only the occasional pair of images that need this level of scrutiny and at the moment I need to leave PM and open these images in a different program (fast Raw viewer), decide which is the sharper, and then go back to PM.

Or I identify the tricky images with a colour tag or rating then need to remember to complete the cull after  I've imported them into LR or C1.

But maybe it would end up a just as annoying as switching programs.

I've just realised I have the same problem with PM6 Plus, doesn't PM6 Plus use its own previews built while cataloguing, rather than the embedded preview?

Cheers,

Graham

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version