Author Topic: switching on and off DNG rendering for individual images  (Read 11084 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: switching on and off DNG rendering for individual images
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 10:13:46 AM »
Graham,

If you convert your ORF files to DNG, the DNG files will preview in Photo Mechanic extremely fast.  The slow case is turning on RAW rendering via the Adobe DNG Converter which PM is using as a RAW renderer.  If you're going to convert your ORF files to DNG and then stay with DNG, turn RAW rendering off in Photo Mechanic.  Then you'll only take the slow path once (the initial conversion to DNG).  All subsequent work with the DNGs in Photo Mechanic should be fast.

Thanks Kirk, but I'm slightly confused:

If I turn on DNG rendering "on" does it just render the raw as a DNG and then delete it, so it needs to render it again if I open that file again. Is that why that option is slow.

It will only be rendered once, its embedded JPEG extracted to a 'render cache' to be used for all thumbnail and preview needs.  It is slow because the Adobe DNG Converter is slow to launch, will only render one file from the command line, and is slow even after it finished initialization.  It is meant to bulk convert an entire folder's worth of images, but that doesn't work well for our purposes so we give it one image at a time and never have more than one conversion going at a time.

That's why it is slow.

I assumed, that if I switched DNG rendering on (with PM6 Plus) that all files would have DNGs created and stored in the database. Having said that, rereading your other replies, I'm now not sure this is what happens.

The render cache system works for Photo Mechanic 6 and for Photo Mechanic Plus.  There is no database, just a folder and file structure stored and managed locally based on your Render settings (you can control how large it can get and when it starts deleting old files.)

So, Are you suggesting that I leave rendering switched off, but choose the convert ORFs into DNGs during ingest option, so I would end up with ORFs and DNGs sat beside each other in my file folders, and both being catalogued. If I did this is there some automatic way of only converting ORFs as I wouldn't want my NEFs converted.

Not during Ingest since we don't offer such an option.  You would do this manually when you see fit.

But I confess, while I'm happy with the idea of DNGs inside the catalogue, I don't really want to clutter my hard drive with them. If I am going to end up with a second file (DNG) just to evaluate sharpness I wonder if taking a higher quality JPEG alongside the raw, might be a simpler process. I'm not sure how PM works with files that have a matching raw and JPEG, it's not something I've thought of before.

If you can shoot RAW+JPEG (and produce a high quality JPEG) then this will work fantastically with Photo Mechanic/Plus.  Photo Mechanic will pair the two (optionally you can keep them separated if you really want to but it would defeat the purpose!) and will use the JPEG for all thumbnail and preview use.  When editing, you can choose if the JPEG or the RAW is sent to your editor.  Metadata changes/renaming/tagging/rating/color labeling will all be in sync.

If you don't mind shooting RAW+JPEG with your camera, it will by far be the best solution if you don't mind wasting the extra space.  Or if your camera allows you to control the size and quality of the embedded JPEG in your ORF files, then choose the highest resolution/fine quality preview.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 11:18:33 AM »
If you can shoot RAW+JPEG (and produce a high quality JPEG) then this will work fantastically with Photo Mechanic/Plus.  Photo Mechanic will pair the two (optionally you can keep them separated if you really want to but it would defeat the purpose!) and will use the JPEG for all thumbnail and preview use.  When editing, you can choose if the JPEG or the RAW is sent to your editor.  Metadata changes/renaming/tagging/rating/color labeling will all be in sync.

If you don't mind shooting RAW+JPEG with your camera, it will by far be the best solution if you don't mind wasting the extra space.  Or if your camera allows you to control the size and quality of the embedded JPEG in your ORF files, then choose the highest resolution/fine quality preview.

This sounds the most promising and will look into the implications of doing this in terms of speed of shooting and in storage space.  It may well be that I just have to continue splitting the work between two programs, but PM is by far the best option for this, apart from this preview quality problem.

I've had. search and can't see any way of forcing the Olympus to make better quality embedded previews.

Thanks for all your help.

Graham

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 08:47:05 AM »
Just going to chime in and add that if you are just interested in peeping the occasional RAW image (on macOS) you can also configure macOS' 'Preview' as an external editor within Photo Mechanic, and open files in that. It is not very fast, but otherwise it has very little overhead effort and will use macOS' RAW rendering.  (Edit to add: I don't know if it is faster than launching FRV for you, but you can even use macOS' built in method for creating your own keyboard shortcut for this, if you really wanted to)

If you do this, I suggest familiarizing yourself with the keyboard shortcut for "Zoom to selection" in Preview which is Command-*. This will aid in finer examination for detail.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 09:11:09 AM by MickO »
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 09:17:45 AM »
Just going to chime in and add that if you are just interested in peeping the occasional RAW image (on macOS) you can also configure macOS' 'Preview' as an external editor within Photo Mechanic, and open files in that. It is not very fast, but otherwise it has very little overhead effort and will use macOS' RAW rendering.  (Edit to add: I don't know if it is faster than launching FRV for you, but you can even use macOS' built in method for creating your own keyboard shortcut for this, if you really wanted to)

If you do this, I suggest familiarizing yourself with the keyboard shortcut for "Zoom to selection" in Preview which is Command-*. This will aid in finer examination for detail.

Thanks Mick, I will bear this in mind. FRV is pretty well instantaneous if I leave it running in the background, and I use it anyway for checking the raw histogram and exposure as well as a more detailed assessment of sharpness, and I can add ratings and labels in FRV.

The problem with FRV for this is that I can't compare images side by side as I can in PM.  With Preview I could probably open two instances for comparison.

Given that there isn't a simple solution, and it's only an occasional problem, I think I've resigned myself to just live with it and leave any final decision until after the images are in LR or C1.

Cheers,

Graham

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2020, 12:13:52 AM »
Just going to chime in and add that if you are just interested in peeping the occasional RAW image (on macOS) you can also configure macOS' 'Preview' as an external editor within Photo Mechanic, and open files in that.

Can I follow up on my last post, Preview is much slower to launch than FRV, BUT...

Although, this may well be obvious to everyone else but me, setting the editor to use Preview is a brilliant trick for wider comparisons and working out imaging sequences for publication.

I can select several images in PM, then hit CMD+E, and all the images load in floating preview windows that I can resize, and drag around to try out different sequences of images.

This I think could be very useful. I just need to work out how best to use the options in preview.

Thanks for your help.

Graham

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2020, 07:27:39 AM »

Thanks for the tip.  I just set this up in conjunction with Preview and Fast Raw Viewer (forgot I had purchased that) and it really works well for checking exposure and sharpness quickly from PM.  If only there were a way that for PM to use Fast Raw Viewer's raw engine... But this is pretty good.