Author Topic: Filter / Browse items do not correspond to IPTC categories and items  (Read 3890 times)

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
I am getting quite lost trying to Filter or Browse IPTC fields because they do not properly follow the category and field names used in the Metadata dialog box.

Would it not be better to arrange and name the filter and browse IPTC items to exactly match those in the Metadata dialog box?  I have fields displayed in the Metadata dialog box which do NOT appear anywhere in the Browse / Filter IPTC fields.  Some items do appear but reference other Metadata fields (Copyright is one).

In the attached screenshot you will see my name entered into two fields (Creator/Photographer and Copyright).  These two fields come from the camera and I did NOT add them manually and they appear nowhere else.  In the Browse section you will see that my name appears under Copyright and under Byline.  So the confusion is how does this all tie up and which Browse / Filter fields correspond to which IPTC fields in the Metadata dialog.

Please consider aligning these labels.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Keith,

I am getting quite lost trying to Filter or Browse IPTC fields because they do not properly follow the category and field names used in the Metadata dialog box.

Would it not be better to arrange and name the filter and browse IPTC items to exactly match those in the Metadata dialog box?  I have fields displayed in the Metadata dialog box which do NOT appear anywhere in the Browse / Filter IPTC fields.  Some items do appear but reference other Metadata fields (Copyright is one).

In the attached screenshot you will see my name entered into two fields (Creator/Photographer and Copyright).  These two fields come from the camera and I did NOT add them manually and they appear nowhere else.  In the Browse section you will see that my name appears under Copyright and under Byline.  So the confusion is how does this all tie up and which Browse / Filter fields correspond to which IPTC fields in the Metadata dialog.

Please consider aligning these labels.

Until we can do that, you could customize the Metadata dialog's labels to match what Catalog uses.  You could change "Creator/Photographer:" to "Byline:" and then they'd match.

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
Keith,

Until we can do that, you could customize the Metadata dialog's labels to match what Catalog uses.  You could change "Creator/Photographer:" to "Byline:" and then they'd match.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

I could do that but I often do not know which fields correspond to each-other: Catalog vs IPTC

If you have a list of where each item in the Catalog is coming from then it would be most helpful.

I do feel very strongly that field names should exactly match for each data source for consistency sake.

Thanks
Keith

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Keith,

I could do that but I often do not know which fields correspond to each-other: Catalog vs IPTC

If you have a list of where each item in the Catalog is coming from then it would be most helpful.

I do feel very strongly that field names should exactly match for each data source for consistency sake.

Understood and we agree.

It's pretty easy to figure out what they are.  Take an image and in each field put the name of the field in it.  For instance in the Keywords field, enter "Keywords".  Do this for each field.  Then look in the Browse tree for your items.  It will be easier to start a new catalog and put only one image in it so you don't have to search around.  The relationships should be clear.  Then you could customize the labels in the Metadata dialogs (Preferences->Accessibility) to match.

I'll try to get the names in the Browse tree and Filters to match the current custom labels for the next beta release.

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
Thanks Kirk  :)

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
Keith,

Understood and we agree.

It's pretty easy to figure out what they are.  Take an image and in each field put the name of the field in it.  For instance in the Keywords field, enter "Keywords".  Do this for each field.  Then look in the Browse tree for your items.  It will be easier to start a new catalog and put only one image in it so you don't have to search around.  The relationships should be clear.  Then you could customize the labels in the Metadata dialogs (Preferences->Accessibility) to match.

I'll try to get the names in the Browse tree and Filters to match the current custom labels for the next beta release.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

OK, I did that and found only a few labels did not correspond but I did find ONE IPTC field missing from the catalog (Browse & Filter) which is Registry Entry Role under Image Registry Entries.  See screenshot.

Would you like me to list mismatching labels?

Cheers
Keith

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Keith,

Understood and we agree.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

OK, I did that and found only a few labels did not correspond but I did find ONE IPTC field missing from the catalog (Browse & Filter) which is Registry Entry Role under Image Registry Entries.  See screenshot.

Would you like me to list mismatching labels?

No, not necessary.  Once we have a solution in place, the names in the Metadata dialogs will be used for the corresponding entries in the Browse and Filter systems automatically.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Keith,

Understood and we agree.

We don't track that field because it is supposed to be a URI which should be unique.  It wouldn't be useful to have a list of all of the URIs each with a count of one.

It is searchable however so if you wanted to find an image and you knew its Image Registry Entry Role URI, you could search for it.

-Kirk