Author Topic: 4.5 - error upon start - Scripting Engine failed to initialize  (Read 5184 times)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Hi, I have gotten another error - suddenly upon starting, it showed a box with: "Error: PM's Scripting Engine failed to initialize (Reason: Test 1: timeout awaiting result.) If the problem persists, try reinstalling [...] " and quit. Tried to start PM again, now it started correctly. This is the section from the PM.log file:

Photo Mechanic version 4.5.0.0
[Mon Apr-16-2007 12:46:33.864][1816] ruby_embed.cpp:78 ($Revision: 1.11.2.16 $) Error: Photo Mechanic Scripting Engine failed to initialize. (Reason: test 1: timeout awaiting result.)
If problem persists, try reinstalling Photo Mechanic.
Application will now exit.

Now it works corretly. So as long as it works, I don't complain ;-) Just wanted to point it to you if there is a possible bug or it was just a one-time glitch (all too common on Windows machines, sadly - this was on WinXP SP2 w/ latest updates).

Thanks Frantisek

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4.5 - error upon start - Scripting Engine failed to initialize
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 06:10:04 AM »
Frantisek,

Hi, I have gotten another error - suddenly upon starting, it showed a box with: "Error: PM's Scripting Engine failed to initialize (Reason: Test 1: timeout awaiting result.) If the problem persists, try reinstalling [...] " and quit. Tried to start PM again, now it started correctly. This is the section from the PM.log file:

Photo Mechanic version 4.5.0.0
[Mon Apr-16-2007 12:46:33.864][1816] ruby_embed.cpp:78 ($Revision: 1.11.2.16 $) Error: Photo Mechanic Scripting Engine failed to initialize. (Reason: test 1: timeout awaiting result.)
If problem persists, try reinstalling Photo Mechanic.
Application will now exit.

Now it works corretly. So as long as it works, I don't complain ;-) Just wanted to point it to you if there is a possible bug or it was just a one-time glitch (all too common on Windows machines, sadly - this was on WinXP SP2 w/ latest updates).

Usually this is caused by installing one version of Photo Mechanic over another.  Did you uninstall the old version before installing 4.5?

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: 4.5 - error upon start - Scripting Engine failed to initialize
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 07:27:44 AM »
Usually this is caused by installing one version of Photo Mechanic over another.  Did you uninstall the old version before installing 4.5?
-Kirk

Generally, yes, but with all the betas there I am not sure anymore :-) . After I uninstall it, are there some registry keys or components I should delete manually to be sure? I ask because the registration information does persist even trough reinstallation, and some other settings as well, so maybe it would be best to start from a clean state? Especially when I try that one. Feel free to PM me about it, if it's ok. Thanks!
Frantisek