Author Topic: Filter keywords 'find' function  (Read 2912 times)

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Filter keywords 'find' function
« on: May 08, 2020, 01:33:34 PM »
Is this normal behavior?  When I go to the Filter tab and select IPTC/keywords as my filter, a search box appears to the right with the word 'find' in it.  When I type in a keyword, the keywords are highlighted (weakly - just a blue outline).  The behavior of the new 'Find as you type' preference seems to be working in that it live filters based on the characters I've typed.  What is odd is that the long list of keywords never gets filter, nor does it bring the filtered keywords to the top, or anything similar.  So it's not very useful.  If the keyword I am searching for is off the screen, I still have to scroll down and find it, then manually select it.

I would think it would be more useful if the keyword I am typing actually filters the keyword list, removing the items that do not match.  Or at least scrolling to the top match.

Also, it'd be great if the find function was case insensitive.  I actually prefer smart case search - if the search term is lowercase, search case insensitive, and if it is uppercase, search case sensitive.

Hope this explanation makes sense.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Filter keywords 'find' function
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 01:51:44 PM »
Is this normal behavior?  When I go to the Filter tab and select IPTC/keywords as my filter, a search box appears to the right with the word 'find' in it.  When I type in a keyword, the keywords are highlighted (weakly - just a blue outline).  The behavior of the new 'Find as you type' preference seems to be working in that it live filters based on the characters I've typed.  What is odd is that the long list of keywords never gets filter, nor does it bring the filtered keywords to the top, or anything similar.  So it's not very useful.  If the keyword I am searching for is off the screen, I still have to scroll down and find it, then manually select it.

I would think it would be more useful if the keyword I am typing actually filters the keyword list, removing the items that do not match.  Or at least scrolling to the top match.

I'm not sure if I can get it to remove items from the list.  That said, are none of the highlighted items visible as you type?  You always have to scroll to find them?

Also, it'd be great if the find function was case insensitive.  I actually prefer smart case search - if the search term is lowercase, search case insensitive, and if it is uppercase, search case sensitive.

Seems odd to me.  What if you only wanted to find items that were lowercase?

-Kirk

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 04:41:11 PM »
If the keywords I am searching for are up top, the do highlight, but are not selected. Just a thin blue outline. No pictures matching the selection show up. If the keywords are farther down, I have to scroll to find them.  I’ll try to take a screen shot.

Smart case search works pretty well from a coding standpoint. I use it in my text editor and search utilities. I think most rarely need to search just lower case?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 05:07:13 PM »
If the keywords I am searching for are up top, the do highlight, but are not selected. Just a thin blue outline. No pictures matching the selection show up. If the keywords are farther down, I have to scroll to find them.  I’ll try to take a screen shot.

They are highlighted, not selected.  This is intentional.  No need for a screenshot.

I understand that what you want is a filter.  What we currently have implemented is not a filter.  It just highlights matches and scrolls enough to make the first match appear.  Since it is a 'starts with' match, your other matches shouldn't be too far away if you have your settings set to do a simple alphabetical sort (non-hierarchical priority.)

Smart case search works pretty well from a coding standpoint. I use it in my text editor and search utilities. I think most rarely need to search just lower case?

OK, I'm not sure that would be what most non-coders expect a search to do.

Thank you for your feedback, we'll keep your thoughts in mind.

-Kirk

Offline tgray

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 05:58:25 PM »
Makes sense.  I restarted PM+ and it does indeed scroll down to the found keyword.  Not sure why it wasn't doing it before or if I somehow misinterpreted the response.  Scrolling is perfectly acceptable!