Author Topic: Troubles syncing color tag and rating on scanned tif files between PM6 to C1  (Read 2868 times)

Offline erchdk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I started shooting analog and scanning it. I work in sessions in CaptureOne and want my workflow to be the same when just photographing with digital; So photo/scan, using PM6 to ingesting into CaptureOne session folder, culling, color tagging and rating in PM6 with full sync turned on in CaptureOne Pro. It works flawless with raw photo files, but I have lots of delay and troubles sync rating and color tag between PM6 and C1 with tif files.
The only way to make C1 register color tags and ratings is to open another sessions and then reopen the session with the scanned tif files.

I attach my preferences in both PM6 and C1. Does anyone have an idea as what I need to tick/adjust in either programs?

Thanks in advance!

Offline erchdk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Nobody has any insights?

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
Nobody has any insights?

Me, not much.
C1 never writes to existing image files. You can only make C1 copy metadata from its internal Metadata storage (in Session or Catalog) to XMP sidecars. "Sync" in C1 lingo. PM can  pick up C1 metadata written to XMP sidecars , sync'ed, by C1. Provided C1 writes to a XMP element that PM reads. Sounds obvious, but there is a thing with image file type on the PM side of the fence. PM does not bother with XMP sidecars for some image file types. I don't know about TIFFs, but I had to give up on transferring metadata from C1 to PM for DNGs. PM reads DNG metadata from the DNG file only, PM ignores DNG XMP sidecars.

I have not played with this for a wile, but I think C1 is liberal, kind of, when it comes to picking up metadata embedded in image files and/or in XMP sidecars. "Load" or "Reload" in C1 lingo. Try to set the C1 preference Auto Sync sidecar XMP to None and experiment with one or a few image files (raw, tiff, jpeg,dng...) using the C1 Metadata tool. Change some value, do a Sync Metadata manually (Metadata tool "..."-menu). Check if PM pics up the changed metadata. You may want to try several fields, C1's displayed  field names do not necessarily match those of PM (nor IPTC guidelines  for that matter).

Color tags are special as exchange requires exact same spelling in both programs. "Green" and "Keeper" are different even if both program happens to display a Yellow color patch :-) In your case that is probably taken care of if it works with some file types.

C1 suffers from a kind of race condition when it comes to Metadata and the "Full Sync" that many C1 users apparently prefer. Speed penalty is one reason for not using it, said race condition is another.  The C1 forum has a high number of postings where Full Sync users wonder why C1 overwrites Metadata they just entered in the Metadata tool. Ratings, color tags, keywords..., you name it. C1 Stores the new metadata internally, then reads from XMP/image file and restores old values. C1 still does not have separate settings for Automatic Load Metadata  and Automatic Write Metadata, you only get Automatic Load or Automatic Full Sync (load and sync). The manual Load/Sync in the Metadata provides separate controls.

With that background: You have C1 set to prefer metadata in XMP sidecars over metadata embedded in the image file. Your PM setting "Always create and/or update sidecar files" is Off (not ticked).

--
Odd S.

Offline erchdk

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thanks for a reply. Not sure I understand all the different back and forth, but it seems like, it's not straight forward. I have to say, that the current settings of my C1 and PM is working flawless with my raw files from Fuji; what ever I do with keywords, rating or color tag in either C1 or PM is reflected immediately in the other program if I switch back and forth. I know the full sync option in C1 is a slow down.

I will try to noodle around with force xmp read/write since, f I understand you correctly, C1 does not write metadata embedded in files.

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
...f I understand you correctly, C1 does not write metadata embedded in files.

Not so fast :) I tried to say that C1 never writes to (overwrites) an existing image file. C1 may embed metadata in a file that C1 creates via the Processing tool.
--
Odd S.