Author Topic: Filter Search List in Catalog  (Read 5588 times)

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
Filter Search List in Catalog
« on: May 21, 2020, 10:40:16 AM »
There are 16 data fields in the Artwork or Object part of the Metadata Template. However, in the Catalog Filter pull-down, there are only 9 of the 16 fields that are searchable.  I am not sure of the logic as to which 9 were chosen with 7 being left out, but for me, several of the missing 7 are far more important for a search than several of the chosen.  If there is a logic for only including 9, can we have a discussion about the choices?  For me, I really would like Title, Date Created, Circa Date Created and one of the content descriptions.  also, for me, the copyright and the licensor fields are of far less importance for the search.  I need these data only after i have found the image and they are available in the Info display of a found image.
Bob Hendricks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Filter Search List in Catalog
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 12:44:04 PM »
Bob,

There are 16 data fields in the Artwork or Object part of the Metadata Template. However, in the Catalog Filter pull-down, there are only 9 of the 16 fields that are searchable.  I am not sure of the logic as to which 9 were chosen with 7 being left out, but for me, several of the missing 7 are far more important for a search than several of the chosen.  If there is a logic for only including 9, can we have a discussion about the choices?  For me, I really would like Title, Date Created, Circa Date Created and one of the content descriptions.  also, for me, the copyright and the licensor fields are of far less importance for the search.  I need these data only after i have found the image and they are available in the Info display of a found image.

We chose those fields and not the others you listed because we don't expect there to be much commonality between images and those fields.  If we were to add those fields, say "Title" and you had a million images of artwork and each one had a different title, then the list in that filter would be a million items long (plus one for <none>).  Do you want to scroll down a long linear list to find what you're looking for (of course, you could use the typedown find field to help out)?

Instead, if you know the Title of the artwork that you're looking for, you can Search for it:

artobj.title Mona Lisa

And you'll see the photos.  You can even create a Custom Search in your Filter stack and put that search string and still build your Filter criteria.  All of the other fields you listed can also be similarly searched for.

If we added these fields that tend to be unique and you had a large catalog of items that all had unique artobj.title values then performance of the Organizer (Browse/Filters) would suffer.

-Kirk

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 07:30:35 AM »
Kirk:

Thanks.
Bob,

We chose those fields and not the others you listed because we don't expect there to be much commonality between images and those fields.  If we were to add those fields, say "Title" and you had a million images of artwork and each one had a different title, then the list in that filter would be a million items long (plus one for <none>).  Do you want to scroll down a long linear list to find what you're looking for (of course, you could use the typedown find field to help out)?

Instead, if you know the Title of the artwork that you're looking for, you can Search for it:

artobj.title Mona Lisa

And you'll see the photos.  You can even create a Custom Search in your Filter stack and put that search string and still build your Filter criteria.  All of the other fields you listed can also be similarly searched for.

If we added these fields that tend to be unique and you had a large catalog of items that all had unique artobj.title values then performance of the Organizer (Browse/Filters) would suffer.

-Kirk

Can you expand a bit on how the naming convention works?  artobj.title is clear enough.  How about other fields?  For examplele, I want to find all the images that have a certain value of the IPTC Category field.  How to do?

Is there somewhere I can find this info?

Thanks

Bob
Bob Hendricks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 09:23:48 AM »
Bob,

We don't yet have documentation.  Here is the list of artobj fields for search:

artobj.circadate
artobj.contentdesc
artobj.copyownerid
artobj.creatorid
artobj.copyright
artobj.copyowner
artobj.creator
artobj.createdate
artobj.licensorid
artobj.licensorname
artobj.physdesc
artobj.contribdesc
artobj.source
artobj.styleperiod
artobj.invurl
artobj.title

They're self-documented in the Search tab from the "*" button, "Search settings...",  Unfortunately that UI element is not available in the Custom Search filter's search UI.  We will address that.

-Kirk

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 12:06:43 PM »
Kirk:

This is great--thanks.  I will work with it and see what I can do.

Is there a similar way to get to some of the other IPTC fields that are not in the pull-down? e.g.,  IPTC Category ( I know this field is deprecated, but since some of your users use it, you want to keep it.  I would like to use it if I can search for it); IPTC Intellectual Genre; IPTC Edit Status; the various Event location entries....

Bob
Bob Hendricks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 01:09:21 PM »
Bob,

This is great--thanks.  I will work with it and see what I can do.

Is there a similar way to get to some of the other IPTC fields that are not in the pull-down? e.g.,  IPTC Category ( I know this field is deprecated, but since some of your users use it, you want to keep it.  I would like to use it if I can search for it); IPTC Intellectual Genre; IPTC Edit Status; the various Event location entries....

We're not currently indexing the IPTC Category field, I suggest that you don't use it because of its deprecated nature.

-Kirk

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 04:35:13 AM »
Thanks--I will remove any data I have already entered under IPTC Category.  How about some of the other IPTC fields such IPTC Intellectual Genre; IPTC Edit Status; the various Event location entries....

Bob
Bob Hendricks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 01:40:37 PM »
Bob,

Thanks--I will remove any data I have already entered under IPTC Category.  How about some of the other IPTC fields such IPTC Intellectual Genre; IPTC Edit Status; the various Event location entries....

I'd be happy to look them up if you give me the full list of what you're interested in.  But you could save me some time by looking in the latest IPTC spec yourself and report your findings.

-Kirk

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 12:19:32 PM »
Thanks Kirk:

I am cross-checking all of the PM6+ IPTC variables with the IPTC spec and noting which ones are in the current pull-down and which are in the list of variables such as you gave above for all of the art objects.  Last nite I found a web page with all of the variable names, but today I have searched and searched and cannot find it again.

So far, I have found 9 variables that are on the IPTC template and which also have an XMP variable name so that they can be addressed by ExifTool, bur for which there is no entry in the catalog.  I will upload this table shortly when I get it finalized.

Bob
Bob Hendricks