Author Topic: Unresponsive States  (Read 3855 times)

Offline dbreslauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Unresponsive States
« on: May 25, 2020, 08:33:39 AM »
Macbook Pro 10.15.4
15-Inch 2018
32 GB RAM
Build 4705

I had two consistent unresponsive states:
After application has been running a bit, it is not possible to enter text into the free text search area. You can click the cursor in there, but typing is unresponsive.

I made the program unresponsive by trying to normalize 65k items (change USA to United States of America) country field.
Seems to get cranky if user switches to another application while updating metadata in bulk.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Unresponsive States
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 01:47:40 PM »
Macbook Pro 10.15.4
15-Inch 2018
32 GB RAM
Build 4705

I had two consistent unresponsive states:
After application has been running a bit, it is not possible to enter text into the free text search area. You can click the cursor in there, but typing is unresponsive.

I made the program unresponsive by trying to normalize 65k items (change USA to United States of America) country field.
Seems to get cranky if user switches to another application while updating metadata in bulk.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline dbreslauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 10:48:33 AM »
Attached.  I saw this in previous version too, but knew it was close to the end of that beta cycle.
Saw same issue today.  I can filter, I can Browse, but it will not let me type anything into the search box.

Happy to do a screen share if that helps.

david

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2020, 11:39:54 AM »
David,

Attached.  I saw this in previous version too, but knew it was close to the end of that beta cycle.
Saw same issue today.  I can filter, I can Browse, but it will not let me type anything into the search box.

Thanks for the log.  Nothing stands out.

Are you getting any 'spinning beach balls' during usage?

-Kirk

Offline dbreslauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 05:23:26 PM »
Hi Kirk, no beachballs (other than when I tried to edit a thousands items at once). 
But now I find that when I try to filter on Country, my countries are missing.   I reindexed to see if that would fix it and it did not.
I looked at an image classified as <none> and it clearly has a country. 
Zip and screen shot attached.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 06:34:19 PM »
David,

Hi Kirk, no beachballs (other than when I tried to edit a thousands items at once). 
But now I find that when I try to filter on Country, my countries are missing.   I reindexed to see if that would fix it and it did not.
I looked at an image classified as <none> and it clearly has a country. 
Zip and screen shot attached.

You forgot the screen shot.

-Kirk

Offline dbreslauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 02:48:20 PM »
<none> is selected but photo selected has United States of America shown. 
My other countries do not show up any more, I know I have content with France and China as valid countries.
did not show up (so I did a reindex to no avail) when using Filter of IPTC country.

david

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 02:55:05 PM »
David,

<none> is selected but photo selected has United States of America shown. 
My other countries do not show up any more, I know I have content with France and China as valid countries.
did not show up (so I did a reindex to no avail) when using Filter of IPTC country.

I can't tell from your screenshot, but which of the three "Location" types are you viewing?

They are:

Location (Legacy)
Location Created
Locations Shown

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline dbreslauer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 09:50:52 AM »
Lol, that is a good question, not sure, and perhaps that is the point I should be making...too many country fields to search on, there should be a way to normalize that a bit rather than having to search across three different fields for different location fields.