Author Topic: Software variable  (Read 3127 times)

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
Software variable
« on: June 02, 2020, 01:10:47 PM »
The Software variable will return  “Ver.0.1” in a jpg file developed from a .rw2 file. But it will return “DxO PhotoLab 3.2.1” in a jpg file developed from a .orf file. Both files show “DxO PhotoLab 3.2.1” in the Software field when I check with Preview/Inspector or Photos Exif Editor.

In both cases the the raw files Software variable will return Ver x.x.x, i.e the Software version of the camera.

MacOS 10.15.5 and PM6 build 4538

-Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Software variable
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 01:56:38 PM »
Lars,

The Software variable will return  “Ver.0.1” in a jpg file developed from a .rw2 file. But it will return “DxO PhotoLab 3.2.1” in a jpg file developed from a .orf file. Both files show “DxO PhotoLab 3.2.1” in the Software field when I check with Preview/Inspector or Photos Exif Editor.

In both cases the the raw files Software variable will return Ver x.x.x, i.e the Software version of the camera.

OK, I'm not seeing a question in there?  How can I help?

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 11:14:24 PM »
Sorry.
Why is the Software variable not returning "DxO Photolab 3.2.1" in attached file?

-Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 08:44:44 AM »
Lars,

Because PM6 is preferring the Panasonic firmware version tag over the TIFF software tag.

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 09:21:29 AM »
Thank you Kirk,

But the Panasonic firmware version in this case is 2.1, not .0.1. Why is that? The attached file is a software file not a camera file.

And PM6 is picking up the software version from my Olympus and Nikon cameras. What is the difference?

DxO and Nikon Capture Nx2 must be writing something that PM6 picks up.

-Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 03:29:22 PM »
Lars,

But the Panasonic firmware version in this case is 2.1, not .0.1. Why is that? The attached file is a software file not a camera file.

But it originally was a camera file and the metadata still exists in the file you provided.  The number being incorrect is a bug that we'll have to fix.

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 01:52:40 AM »
Kirk,

I appreciate that you will fix the bug, but I still have problem with the logic.

What is the difference between the two variables Firmware and Software? Your description say two different things and I don't understand why they turn up the same value in all my files.

-Lars

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 08:12:26 AM »
Lars,

What is the difference between the two variables Firmware and Software? Your description say two different things and I don't understand why they turn up the same value in all my files.

Internally, the data maps to the same field so they end up being the same value regardless of whether you use {firm} or {soft}.  To make them truly independent, they would have to each have their own field in Photo Mechanic.  Moreover, it appears that the tag that appears last in the EXIF data is the one that is represented.

This is non-deterministic behavior and should be addressed at some point.  I don't know when such a change will happen though.

-Kirk

Offline LarsN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2020, 01:08:31 PM »
Thank you Kirk,

Finally I think I understand.
Going through my digital pictures for the past 15 years (thanks to PM+), where I used a number of different cameras, scanners  and software, it is clear how this metadata works.
In the raw files the camera firmware number is written
In the jpg files the software name and version is written.

In the raw files from Panasonic G9 and Gx7 the firmware numbers are wrong. I hope you will fix the bug for both.

-Lars