Author Topic: Persistent issue with pmdyn  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
Persistent issue with pmdyn
« on: June 03, 2020, 02:08:31 AM »
Using PM6 and Catalina 64 Gb Ram. I keep getting this error message when I close down PM:

The pmdyn system is taking awhile (sic) to stop.
Continue waiting?

This is happening just about every day and I am a bit fed up with it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Persistent issue with pmdyn
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 08:45:43 AM »
Using PM6 and Catalina 64 Gb Ram. I keep getting this error message when I close down PM:

The pmdyn system is taking awhile (sic) to stop.
Continue waiting?

This is happening just about every day and I am a bit fed up with it.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 12:00:00 AM »
Hi Kirk

I have been trying your suggestion to create the log file to send to you. However, although PM6 creates it OK, PM_log_zip, I cannot find it anywhere on my Mac. Tried Spotlight and get no result. It appears to be in in the library cache? but don't want to start messing about with system files and settings.

Wondering would it be better just to uninstall and re install?

Thanks, stay well.

Frank

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 10:05:00 AM »
Frank,

I have been trying your suggestion to create the log file to send to you. However, although PM6 creates it OK, PM_log_zip, I cannot find it anywhere on my Mac. Tried Spotlight and get no result. It appears to be in in the library cache? but don't want to start messing about with system files and settings.

Wondering would it be better just to uninstall and re install?

A Finder window should have opened and had the item selected.  Since this isn't working for you, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

Offline Frank

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 12:54:38 AM »
Hi Kirk I hope that you are well.

Just a quick update on this issue that the good folks in support helped me with. The culprit appears to have been anti virus software which I had via my broadband provider as a free add on. The software was MacFee and I also had Malwarebytes installed. I have removed both and PM6 is now behaving itself.

So if anyone else on the forum has a similar issue and you use such software, especially on a Mac, try removing the security software. However, I also still keep off any potentially dodgy sites and observe all the usual precautions re clicking on unknown senders etc.

On reflection, any time I ran a scan with these softwares they never found any problems at all so I am now dubious regarding their use on a Mac. Since the move to Apple I have had no problems with spam/phishing the way I experienced with Windows. No doubt lots of people will disagree with what I have just written!

I will give it another couple of weeks and update the support folks prior to closing the ticket.

Thanks again for your help.

Frank