Author Topic: 4 Sort by filesize  (Read 3645 times)

Offline john 30120

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
4 Sort by filesize
« on: June 07, 2020, 03:27:37 PM »
Hi
I am trying to sort a folder of tiffs by filesize. Sort works fine by filename, capture date etc but when I select - option 4 sort by file size- although the thumbnails seem to mover aound a bit the sort is completely random and certainly not by filesize. I cannot understand what I am doing wrong! Please advise.
John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 4 Sort by filesize
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 05:06:59 PM »
John,

I am trying to sort a folder of tiffs by filesize. Sort works fine by filename, capture date etc but when I select - option 4 sort by file size- although the thumbnails seem to mover aound a bit the sort is completely random and certainly not by filesize. I cannot understand what I am doing wrong! Please advise.

It could be a bug.  Could you make one of your thumbnail labels be:

File size: {filesize}

and then user the "4: Sort by {filesize}" and when it finishes sorting take a screen shot and post it here?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline john 30120

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 03:36:32 AM »
Hi Kirk
Thanks for responding. I already had filesize as part of one of my labels butI have redone a folder as you sugested and you cans see that the sort is not producing the expected outcome!
Hope you can find a solution!

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 09:01:29 AM »
John,

Thanks for responding. I already had filesize as part of one of my labels butI have redone a folder as you sugested and you cans see that the sort is not producing the expected outcome!

Thank you for the screen shots.  I'll look into the problem.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 11:18:23 AM »
John,

I cannot reproduce the problem on my Windows 10 system using Photo Mechanic 6.  But now that I look at your screenshots, I see that you're using Photo Mechanic 5.  Unfortunately that product is no longer being updated so I can't fix the problem in PM5.

-Kirk

Offline john 30120

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 02:01:26 AM »
Hi Kirk
I thought I had upgraded but apparently not so have now purchased version 6. However although it happily sorts by capture, modification and even width, as you can see it doesn't like filesize sorting.
Any help much appreciated.
John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 09:07:41 AM »
John,

OK, I'd like to see what your #4 custom sort settings are.  Can you click on the sort popup menu and choose the last item (Edit Custom...) and then change the "Edit item" combo to show "#4: Sort by {filesize}" and then take a screenshot of it and post it here?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 10:04:19 AM »
John,

Have you made 4: Sort by {filesize} your default sort?  Do the items sort correctly if you choose a different sort (say Filename) and then switch back to 4: Sort by {filesize} ?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline john 30120

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 10:16:35 AM »
Hi Kirk
Many thanks- youve sorted me out. I thought the custom setting was to create a sort using another variable and had set up a custom sort usung another IPTC item as an experiment last week.  I didnt realise that would impact on the 4: sort by file size action. Anyway now I have corrected the custom setting it works perfectly.
Incidentally if I did want to sort by (say) Supplementary Category 3 is there a way to do that- I had assumed that was what the custom sort was for- but how would I do that?
Either way Camerabits is  £65 the richer and I am up to date!!

John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 10:29:59 AM »
John,

Many thanks- youve sorted me out. I thought the custom setting was to create a sort using another variable and had set up a custom sort usung another IPTC item as an experiment last week.  I didnt realise that would impact on the 4: sort by file size action. Anyway now I have corrected the custom setting it works perfectly.
Incidentally if I did want to sort by (say) Supplementary Category 3 is there a way to do that- I had assumed that was what the custom sort was for- but how would I do that?

You'd edit one of the provided custom sorts and use the variable {suppcat3} as your Primary: sort field.  (I'd suggest giving your sort a custom name.)  There is a "Variables..." button in the Custom Sort dialog that lists all of the variables.  Double-clicking one will paste it into the field that currently contains the cursor.

Either way Camerabits is  £65 the richer and I am up to date!!

Thank you, we appreciate your support.

-Kirk

Offline john 30120

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 03:50:50 AM »
 :)Thanks for all the help and advice
John