Author Topic: Is there a limit on the number of autocomplete entries?  (Read 4465 times)

Offline NaturePix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Peter Llewellyn Photography
Is there a limit on the number of autocomplete entries?
« on: June 09, 2020, 05:16:23 AM »
Hi

I have uploaded an autocomplete list with the common names and latin names of the worlds animal species into the autocomplete settings.

However, there are many of these entries that do not actually appear when I type the first letters of their name. The current list I am using actually runs to 12,678 lines and I was wondering if I am hitting a limit on the number of entries that can appear in this list?
International Sports, Wildlife and Nature Photography

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Is there a limit on the number of autocomplete entries?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 09:13:26 AM »
I have uploaded an autocomplete list with the common names and latin names of the worlds animal species into the autocomplete settings.

However, there are many of these entries that do not actually appear when I type the first letters of their name. The current list I am using actually runs to 12,678 lines and I was wondering if I am hitting a limit on the number of entries that can appear in this list?

There is no intentional limit on the number of lines.  Which ones don't work?

-Kirk

Offline NaturePix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 01:31:44 PM »
Hi Kirk

I am attaching the .txt file to this reply so you could perhaps take a look at what is happening.

As an example type the letters 'Bengal' When I do this I see Bengal Bush Lark (Mirafra assamica) and Bengal Florican (Houbaropsis bengalensis) but do not see Bengal fox (vulpes bengalensis) or Bengal slow loris (nycticebus bengalensis)

Thanks

Peter
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 04:17:35 AM by NaturePix »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 03:15:28 PM »
Peter,

I am attaching the .txt file to this reply so you could perhaps take a look at what is happening.

As an example type the letters 'Bengal' When I do this I see Bengal Bush Lark (Mirafra assamica) and Bengal Florican (Houbaropsis bengalensis) but do not see Bengal fox (vulpes bengalensis) or Bengal slow loris (nycticebus bengalensis)

What OS do you use?
What version of Photo Mechanic do you use?  If it is PM6, what build is it?  (You can see this in the About box.)

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline NaturePix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 04:16:50 AM »
Hi Kirk

Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 4538 (51e5663)

Mac OS Catalina 10.15.4

Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2015
2.2GhZ Quad core i7
16GB RAM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »
Peter,

Thanks.  But I no longer see a text file for me to test with.

-Kirk

Offline NaturePix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 11:28:27 AM »
Kirk - Can I send the file to you privately as I don't want it available for anyone to download - it was a huge piece of work preparing it?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 11:32:25 AM »
Kirk - Can I send the file to you privately as I don't want it available for anyone to download - it was a huge piece of work preparing it?

Sure.  I'll contact you privately (you'll see it in 'My Messages' near the top of the page.)

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 12:07:25 PM »
Peter,

Thanks for the sample file.  When I type 'Ben' I see five total items, see screenshot below.  Can you post a screenshot of your Autocomplete settings?  Can you also post a screenshot of you attempting an autocomplete?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshots.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline NaturePix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 12:54:45 PM »
Hi Kirk

Your screenshot seems to show you are seeing 10 items not 5 when you type the three letters 'Ben"?

I am attaching the screenshots as requested. When I type the three letters 'Ben' I am seeing 6 items which does not include some of the items you are seeing when you do the same thing, for example I do not see Bengal fox or Bengal slow loris?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 02:24:40 PM »
Peter,

Your screenshot seems to show you are seeing 10 items not 5 when you type the three letters 'Ben"?

Sure.  I have other items (IPTC/XMP field lists for instance) that contribute words.

I am attaching the screenshots as requested. When I type the three letters 'Ben' I am seeing 6 items which does not include some of the items you are seeing when you do the same thing, for example I do not see Bengal fox or Bengal slow loris?

What happens if you turn off the other checkboxes and leave only the "Text file:" checkbox checked?

-Kirk

Offline NaturePix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2020, 04:19:50 AM »
Hi Kirk

OK, if I turn off the other two checkboxes I now see all the TXT file entries, although I am not sure why that would make a difference and restrict the number I see with them turned on?

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2020, 07:59:32 AM »
Peter,

OK, if I turn off the other two checkboxes I now see all the TXT file entries, although I am not sure why that would make a difference and restrict the number I see with them turned on?

I don't know why either.  But since I cannot reproduce your problem on my end, I need more data and this is another data point.

-Kirk

Offline NaturePix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 04:50:44 AM »
Hi Kirk - As a bit of follow up I have experimented with the two additional checkboxes in the autocomplete settings and it is the IPTC/XMP box that causes the problems for me. If only {variables] is checked it works fine.

I do have a follow up question. Is it possible to include the space key in the character count. i.e. If I type the word 'Red' I get around 200 results of animals that start with that word. What I would like to do, for example, if I was looking for Red Fox, would be to type 'Red F' to restrict the drop down to only those results that started with those letters but, at present, as soon as I type the space character I lose the results completely?

Thanks

Peter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2020, 08:21:36 AM »
Peter,

Hi Kirk - As a bit of follow up I have experimented with the two additional checkboxes in the autocomplete settings and it is the IPTC/XMP box that causes the problems for me. If only {variables] is checked it works fine.

Interesting.  Thanks for the additional data point.

I do have a follow up question. Is it possible to include the space key in the character count. i.e. If I type the word 'Red' I get around 200 results of animals that start with that word. What I would like to do, for example, if I was looking for Red Fox, would be to type 'Red F' to restrict the drop down to only those results that started with those letters but, at present, as soon as I type the space character I lose the results completely?

Not possible at this time.

-Kirk