Author Topic: Bug with special characters when editing IPTC on Windows 10 PM 6  (Read 2135 times)

Offline msb123

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I experienced the following bug with PM 6 build 4538(51e5663):

I was trying to type an e with an umlaut (ë) into the headline of a single photo's metadata using the IPTC info (not the template/stationary pad). I get into the metadata by selecting the photo and hitting the `I' key on my keyboard. Then I went into the headline section of the metadata and typed a name with the character in it, using "alt+0235" on the keyboard number pad to type that special character. This apparently triggers a few actions within photo mechanic, the end result being that the original photo had a 2 star rating applied to it, the next photo was selected, and then the `ë' character was placed at the start of that next photo's headline in the metadata.

I cannot type that special character anywhere in an individual photo's metadata without this happening. I usually edit captions in batches using the metadata template, and the special character is ok there. The only solution I found was to copy and paste that specific character into the correct photo's metadata.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Bug with special characters when editing IPTC on Windows 10 PM 6
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 09:05:24 AM »
Interesting.  The code that handles keyboard shortcuts needs to be sensitive to when a key sequence is in progress and ignore those key presses.

-Kirk

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 09:37:42 AM »
I cannot type that special character anywhere in an individual photo's metadata without this happening. I usually edit captions in batches using the metadata template, and the special character is ok there. The only solution I found was to copy and paste that specific character into the correct photo's metadata.

Did you try the sequence Left Alt + ¨ followed by e? Hold the left Alt, press the key with the two dots (just to the left of the Enter key on my keyboard) At this point nothing should be displayed, the sequence just arms the two dots for the next key, the e in your case. Press the e-key. I get ë. If I do Alt + ¨ and then a, I get ä. I can do Alt +¨ and then A to get Ä and so on.

--
Odd S.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 10:16:26 AM »
Odd,

Did you try the sequence Left Alt + ¨ followed by e? Hold the left Alt, press the key with the two dots (just to the left of the Enter key on my keyboard) At this point nothing should be displayed, the sequence just arms the two dots for the next key, the e in your case. Press the e-key. I get ë. If I do Alt + ¨ and then a, I get ä. I can do Alt +¨ and then A to get Ä and so on.

North American keyboards don't have those keys.

-Kirk

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 11:17:30 AM »
North American keyboards don't have those keys.

Ah, US keyboard. I can still do it using the US International keyboard trick, https://resources.german.lsa.umich.edu/schreiben/umlaute/
The procedure is essentially the same , but the key sequence differs from what I described. After installing and selecting US English Intl keyboard, I press Shift + " (double quote key), lease both and then press e. The result is ë.
I use US keyboard for some tasks, but I had to install and select & activate the International variant to get the ë to work.
--
Odd S.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 11:19:18 AM »
I experienced the following bug with PM 6 build 4538(51e5663):

I was trying to type an e with an umlaut (ë) into the headline of a single photo's metadata using the IPTC info (not the template/stationary pad). I get into the metadata by selecting the photo and hitting the `I' key on my keyboard. Then I went into the headline section of the metadata and typed a name with the character in it, using "alt+0235" on the keyboard number pad to type that special character. This apparently triggers a few actions within photo mechanic, the end result being that the original photo had a 2 star rating applied to it, the next photo was selected, and then the `ë' character was placed at the start of that next photo's headline in the metadata.

I have found and fixed the problem.  The next build of PM6 will contain the fix.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

-Kirk