Author Topic: lock/read only search results  (Read 3943 times)

Offline Matthew

• View Profile
    • matt-horwood.com
lock/read only search results
« on: June 16, 2020, 11:26:21 AM »
Hello,

Would it be possible to lock or make search results read only?

More than a few times I've found myself accidentally deleting images from a returned search while pressing delete to clear the Search box.

This is more of an issuing when connecting via VNC as there can be a lag in inputs but if there was the option of locking a catalog to new changes or even just a way of disabling the delete key from deleting files it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: lock/read only search results
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2020, 12:34:46 PM »
Would it be possible to lock or make search results read only?

More than a few times I've found myself accidentally deleting images from a returned search while pressing delete to clear the Search box.

That's due to a bug where the Search field appears to have focus when it does not.  It will be addressed in this week's beta.

This is more of an issuing when connecting via VNC as there can be a lag in inputs but if there was the option of locking a catalog to new changes or even just a way of disabling the delete key from deleting files it would be appreciated.

Do you have the "Never warn when deleting photos" preference set?  (Preferences->Files)  Uncheck that checkbox and you should get a warning when trying to delete items.

-Kirk

Offline Matthew

• View Profile
    • matt-horwood.com
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2020, 11:34:40 PM »
Great - yes, I have the warning enabled but it still causes an issue occasionally.

I'll give the new beta a go and see how I get on.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 08:59:42 AM »
Matthew,

Great - yes, I have the warning enabled but it still causes an issue occasionally.

Does the confirmation dialog not appear sometimes?

-Kirk

Offline Matthew

• View Profile
    • matt-horwood.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 11:12:23 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Yes the box does appear although even with this both me and my colleague have noticed files have been accidentally deleted - particularly over a VNC connection where we are often connecting via iPhone/iPads with smaller screens - as we both have our libraries on external drives there isn’t an easy/quick way to retrieve them as they don’t go to the recycle bin.

I’ll be keen to try the updated PM+ with focus on search box bug fixed. This may be a good enough fix. If not would a ‘locked’ OR ‘read only’ search result or even an option for disabling the delete key on returned searches be something you could consider?

Also, is the search box fix going to allow keyboard shortcuts to work too?

Thanks for your time.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 01:44:13 PM »
Matthew,

Yes the box does appear although even with this both me and my colleague have noticed files have been accidentally deleted - particularly over a VNC connection where we are often connecting via iPhone/iPads with smaller screens - as we both have our libraries on external drives there isn’t an easy/quick way to retrieve them as they don’t go to the recycle bin.

If you can tell me how to reproduce this, I'd be keen to fix it.  The code cannot continue until after a choice is made in the message box, so I'm wondering how it's possible to make what you've described happen.

I’ll be keen to try the updated PM+ with focus on search box bug fixed. This may be a good enough fix. If not would a ‘locked’ OR ‘read only’ search result or even an option for disabling the delete key on returned searches be something you could consider?

We'd have to think about it.  I don't currently see a need for the feature and if it were added then I'd want it to work for regular folder-based contact sheets as well.

Also, is the search box fix going to allow keyboard shortcuts to work too?

No.  That still needs fixing.

-Kirk

Offline Matthew

• View Profile
    • matt-horwood.com
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2020, 02:26:50 PM »
Just to be clear the files are being accidentally deleted through user error - there doesn't appear to be a problem with PM here other than the focus on the search field problem.

I appreciate PM isn't designed to be used via VNC on an iPhone but suspect the focus issue fix will sort the issue for us for the most part. Shortcut fix when it's ready would help too.

Thanks