Author Topic: Reverse GeoCode not returning street name  (Read 4916 times)

Offline Earl M

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Reverse GeoCode not returning street name
« on: June 19, 2020, 08:30:20 PM »
Using Tools > Reverse Geocode or the globe on the metadata screens the Location (legacy) and Sublocation fields only receive the street address number with no street name. The location shows correctly on the map (right-click > Show Map). If there is a place name (like Madison Square Garden) it shows correctly, but in a residential area or rural road all I get is street number.  All the other fields are correct. I have tried this on hundreds of photos from different phones. See attached screen print. 

I don't see anyone else reporting this problem so maybe I a doing something wrong.  I tried clearing the GEO cache files per a suggestion from a different reverse Geocode problem on the forum but that did not help.

PM Plus v 6.0 beta build 4826 (4293d5e) expires 8/1/220 AND same results with PM 6 (not plus, not beta)
Camera make and model: iPhone Xs running IOS 13.5
Type of image (e.g. JPEG, TIFF, RAW): JPG
Computer model; 2017 iMac (32 GB ram) running Catalina v 10.15.5
Type of connection (e.g. FireWire, USB, Thunderbolt): image on a locally attached Thunderbolt drive

Thanks for your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Reverse GeoCode not returning street name
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 07:30:15 PM »
Earl,

Using Tools > Reverse Geocode or the globe on the metadata screens the Location (legacy) and Sublocation fields only receive the street address number with no street name. The location shows correctly on the map (right-click > Show Map). If there is a place name (like Madison Square Garden) it shows correctly, but in a residential area or rural road all I get is street number.  All the other fields are correct. I have tried this on hundreds of photos from different phones. See attached screen print. 

I don't see anyone else reporting this problem so maybe I a doing something wrong.  I tried clearing the GEO cache files per a suggestion from a different reverse Geocode problem on the forum but that did not help.

I checked the specific coordinates you provided in your screenshot(s).  The data we have on our server is:

<result place_id="166381671" osm_type="way" osm_id="384377802" lat="30.1990325" lon="-97.8620498393939">
4705, Walsall Loop, Maple Run, Austin, Travis County, Texas, 78749, USA
</result>
<addressparts>
<house_number>4705</house_number>
<road>Walsall Loop</road>
<neighbourhood>Maple Run</neighbourhood>
<city>Austin</city>
<county>Travis County</county>
<state>Texas</state>
<postcode>78749</postcode>
<country>USA</country>
<country_code>us</country_code>
</addressparts>

I don't see "Sendera Mesa Drive" anywhere in that data.

-Kirk

Offline Earl M

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 06:55:05 PM »
My problem is not the name of the street returned but that NO street name is written to IPTC Location/Sublocation .  If your server shows "4705, Walsall Loop, Maple Run, Austin, Travis County, Texas, 78749, USA"  the only thing that is written to the IPTC Location/Sublocation is the "4705". That is not very useful.

Should it be writing <house number> AND <road> into the IPTC Location / Sublocation field?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 07:33:42 PM »
Earl,

My problem is not the name of the street returned but that NO street name is written to IPTC Location/Sublocation .  If your server shows "4705, Walsall Loop, Maple Run, Austin, Travis County, Texas, 78749, USA"  the only thing that is written to the IPTC Location/Sublocation is the "4705". That is not very useful.

Should it be writing <house number> AND <road> into the IPTC Location / Sublocation field?

Would it be correct if it did?  According to your screenshot of the map, it looks like it should be "4705 Sendera Mesa Drive".  Which is correct?

-Kirk

Offline Earl M

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 10:43:14 AM »
It might not be exactly correct but at least it would be close. Walsall Loop is the next Street over. My phone may not have had time to determine the exact coordinates.

Once again.  I am NOT reporting a problem with the GPS coordinates giving an incorrect location.

I am reporting that the reverse geocode is giving INCOMPLETE location data. Most of the the locations shown in my catalog browse and search are useless.  All I can search on is the street number and city.  I expect there are thousands of street number "4705"s in my city and most others.

If I browse the catalog for 4705 it would be showing many images from different streets and cities that happen to have the that same street number. That is not useful

If I need to find all the images I shot in the 2000 block of Main St in a city I would see results that show street numbers from 2000 thru 2999 with no street name and I would probably have to open hundreds of these images and do a Show Map command on each one to find the ones for that block on the desired street.

The location and sublocation PM writes into the metadata should include both the <house number> AND <road> name to be useful.

Attached is a small area of a Catalog BROWSE for Location Created > Sublocation. This is not useful.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 10:52:35 AM »
Earl,

It might not be exactly correct but at least it would be close. Walsall Loop is the next Street over. My phone may not have had time to determine the exact coordinates.

Once again.  I am NOT reporting a problem with the GPS coordinates giving an incorrect location.

I am reporting that the reverse geocode is giving INCOMPLETE location data. Most of the the locations shown in my catalog browse and search are useless.  All I can search on is the street number and city.  I expect there are thousands of street number "4705"s in my city and most others.

If I browse the catalog for 4705 it would be showing many images from different streets and cities that happen to have the that same street number. That is not useful

If I need to find all the images I shot in the 2000 block of Main St in a city I would see results that show street numbers from 2000 thru 2999 with no street name and I would probably have to open hundreds of these images and do a Show Map command on each one to find the ones for that block on the desired street.

The location and sublocation PM writes into the metadata should include both the <house number> AND <road> name to be useful.

Attached is a small area of a Catalog BROWSE for Location Created > Sublocation. This is not useful.

I understand.  We'll see what we can do.

-Kirk

Offline Earl M

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 11:04:37 AM »
Thank you.

Offline leokreissig

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 11:07:17 AM »
Same problem for me, makes it hard to use this feature properly.
The sublocation field on the file found here should ideally contain something like "Hauptstr. 271", "Hauptstraße" or "Hauptstraße 271"
Unfortunately, it does contain "271" as only information, not very useful.
The location taken field is filled in manually, that's why "Hauptstraße" is in there.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 12:30:18 PM »
Until we can get better information for that field, I suggest turning of Reverse Geocoding for that field.  Blank is probably better than missing/incorrect information.

-Kirk

Offline Jamie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 04:58:55 AM »
Same problem here. I am only getting the street number not the street name. I am in Germany (like leokreissig, presumably). 

My steps: 1. Right-cilck "Set GPS coordinates"; 2. Enter a street address and visually confirm; 3. Click on Accept; 4. Click on apply; 5. Cmd-shift-I to apply the template, which is set up to reverse locate on the fields country, state/province, city, location.  As a result, I get only the street number.

Here is the information for my example:
Street Address: Arndtstr. 16, Bonn, Germany.
GPS coordinates: 50.72532 N ; 7.11000 E
With this I get for location: "20". (City etc. are all correct.)

I tried some other examples.  If the street address is a public building (like a store), the name of the store is given, rather than street information.

As it appears you are working on the issue, I just wanted to provide an additional example.  I will resist using "location" for the moment.

Cheers,
Jamie

Offline leokreissig

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2022, 01:58:18 PM »
Is there something new on this issue? Any precision on that data is worthless, if the data isn't useful.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2022, 07:39:13 AM »
Is there something new on this issue? Any precision on that data is worthless, if the data isn't useful.

No.  There has been no work performed on this issue.

-Kirk

Offline PabloGG

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2022, 10:48:56 AM »
I realize this thread is quite old, but wanted to update everyone on some changes Camera Bits has made to the Reverse Geocoding Server. The changes add more detail to the Location field as well as improve maintenance of the server. More information can be found in the Announcements page of the forum or via this link. Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks.

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=15384.0

Offline gand

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2022, 12:58:50 PM »
Hi
Many thanks for this addition to Reverse Lookup. I have tried with my address and it works fine (live in Denmark). However, I have a few questions. My address is returned with:
House number, Street name, Municipality, State, Postcode. In Denmark, the format is: Street name, House  number, Postcode, City.

I can see that OpenStreet contains tags for the individual information: addr:city, addr:country, addr:housenumber, addr:municipality, addr:postcode, addr:street

Is it possible to change the order and omit some tags in Location. For Location field, I just need Streetname, House number . Some of them are already in the other fields.

Rgds
Gert

Offline PabloGG

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2022, 01:41:51 PM »
Hi Gert,
Unfortunately, at this time, we do not have the capabilities to allow users to choose which tags to include in the Location field. It is something we have been contemplating for future releases, but no date is currently set. We have limited resources and need to prioritize feature development accordingly.

Much thanks for the feedback and we'll keep the forum updated on additional updates in the future.

Regards,
-pablo