Author Topic: FTPv6 upload  (Read 2387 times)

Offline gbaker49

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
FTPv6 upload
« on: June 22, 2020, 03:23:16 PM »
Is there any way to reduce image size when uploading via the FTPv6 protocol like there is when uploading standard FTP?

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: FTPv6 upload
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2020, 10:01:37 PM »
Are the compression and scaling settings not working in the FTPv6 uploader?

Offline gbaker49

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 04:13:48 AM »
They appear to be working.
I'll be more specific.
In the standard FTP upload I can select a full resolution image to upload and select that it be scaled down to a specific size (i.e. 25mb file becomes a 4mb upload).
My editors insist on file sizes 4mb or smaller.  With the "Limit File Size To:" option in the FTP upload module I can select my full resolution file and the uploader automatically reduces it to whatever size I need.
It saves me from having to save full resolution images (which I want to have because they are the highest quality) and then converting those images to a smaller size and re-saving them before transmitting.
I also loose the benefit of choosing the "Save, Upload, and Advance" option in the info module because I am applying IPTC to the full resolution images, and I don't want to have to keyword the same image twice. (once the full resolution and then the smaller image)

I appreciate any help or advice.

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 10:05:41 AM »
In the standard FTP upload I can select a full resolution image to upload and select that it be scaled down to a specific size (i.e. 25mb file becomes a 4mb upload).
My editors insist on file sizes 4mb or smaller.  With the "Limit File Size To:" option in the FTP upload module I can select my full resolution file and the uploader automatically reduces it to whatever size I need.
It saves me from having to save full resolution images (which I want to have because they are the highest quality) and then converting those images to a smaller size and re-saving them before transmitting.

The FTPv6 uploader also has the ability to limit the file size of the image being sent. Under the Transmit section, select Saved as JPEG, bring the Quality slider to the lowest postition and enable Limit File Size to and set it to 4 MB. If the transmitted JPEG files are larger than the limit set, then we've reached maximum compression and you will need to scale the image down to a smaller pixel dimension.

I also loose the benefit of choosing the "Save, Upload, and Advance" option in the info module because I am applying IPTC to the full resolution images, and I don't want to have to keyword the same image twice. (once the full resolution and then the smaller image)

The "Save, Upload, & Advance" will bring up the last uploader template that was used. All you need to do is chose the FTPv6 uploader once. If it doesn't recall the last uploader correctly, then there may be an issue with Photo Mechanic's preferences failing to update. In that case, I suggest contacting our support folks and let them know that Photo Mechanic isn't recalling the last uploader template used.

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888

HTH,

Jerry

Offline gbaker49

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 10:07:31 AM »
Jerry you are the best!!!!

That's what I get for not scrolling down  ;)