Author Topic: How to aply crop to images?  (Read 3282 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
How to aply crop to images?
« on: April 18, 2007, 03:07:39 AM »
I set crop for images, then I tried to Extract JPEG previews, but it didn't aply crop. After this I tried Saving as, but PM gives a message when trying to "Save as" from 1D mk2 RAW files: None of the selected photos can be saved at high resolution.

I don't really understand why it cannot save high resolution from these RAWs (even if using only the embended JPGs).

FTP Photos as doesn't offer me to send only JPGs saved (aplying crop) from the RAW. The only option given is to send the original RAW which I don't want to send.

I hope there is a solution because I would need it for my work...
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to aply crop to images?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 02:37:26 PM »
I set crop for images, then I tried to Extract JPEG previews, but it didn't aply crop. After this I tried Saving as, but PM gives a message when trying to "Save as" from 1D mk2 RAW files: None of the selected photos can be saved at high resolution.

I don't really understand why it cannot save high resolution from these RAWs (even if using only the embended JPGs).

FTP Photos as doesn't offer me to send only JPGs saved (aplying crop) from the RAW. The only option given is to send the original RAW which I don't want to send.

The Windows version of Photo Mechanic has no RAW rendering capability whatsoever.  So it cannot save a RAW file as a JPEG.  It would need to be able to render the RAW file and then encode it as a JPEG.  Now that Windows Vista has the capability, we will likely add support for RAW rendering on the Windows version.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: How to aply crop to images?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 04:56:58 PM »
Now that Windows Vista has the capability, we will likely add support for RAW rendering on the Windows version.

But it will be available only under Vista (which I don't use) I suppose.

Actually in my case it would be more than enough to extract the embeded JPEG and crop that according to my selection, that is why I didn't understand the problem. It is OK PM cannot render a high resolution image from the RAW but it would be nice to have all what it can do of it, instead of nothing but an error message.

Now I extract JPGs from the RAW with PM into the same folder, and have no crop set on the JPG and any on the RAW. If I choose to show RAW+JPG as a single thumbnail I see only one crop selection (that is ok), but if the RAW has one and the JPG doesn't have any than the combined view will show no crop instead of copying the other setting.

After I set the crop on the JPG (or the combined) version and Save as using Aply Crop, it successfully saves the cropped image. So PM can use the embeded image for crop, but it has to be extracted first for PM to use it. I think this could be done automatically by PM if a RAW is used like I tried and couldn't.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com