Photo Mechanic > Support

Using Hot Codes in caption after ingest

(1/1)

Jeff Vogan:
When ingesting, I use Hot Codes to look at the {foldernum} that the storage folder the images were stored in.  Works great!

After ingest, I may want to go in and write a caption for an image.  My Hot Codes file, looks like this:

//==   {foldernum}         
//##     FirstName      LastName   Age
100    Brian         Bennington   Junior Varsity
101    Bob                 Branio           Junior Varsity
//??    Misc                 Misc           Misc

After ingest, I'd like to click on a photo of Bob Branio and be able to create a caption something like "Junior Varsity athlete Bob Branio"  I know that I could have used Hot Codes in the ITPC template to create the caption during Ingest, but I want to also be able to generate a caption using the Hot Codes after ingest. 

When I evaluate [FirstName] [LastName] I get Misc Misc.

What syntax do I use to use the Hot Codes after I have already ingested?

Kirk Baker:
Jeff,

--- Quote from: JeffV on July 06, 2020, 01:35:46 PM ---When ingesting, I use Hot Codes to look at the {foldernum} that the storage folder the images were stored in.  Works great!

After ingest, I may want to go in and write a caption for an image.  My Hot Codes file, looks like this:

//==   {foldernum}         
//##     FirstName      LastName   Age
100    Brian         Bennington   Junior Varsity
101    Bob                 Branio           Junior Varsity
//??    Misc                 Misc           Misc

After ingest, I'd like to click on a photo of Bob Branio and be able to create a caption something like "Junior Varsity athlete Bob Branio"  I know that I could have used Hot Codes in the ITPC template to create the caption during Ingest, but I want to also be able to generate a caption using the Hot Codes after ingest. 

When I evaluate [FirstName] [LastName] I get Misc Misc.

What syntax do I use to use the Hot Codes after I have already ingested?

--- End quote ---

{foldernum} is only available during Ingest.  Is there some other information in your photos that you can key off of instead?

-Kirk

Jeff Vogan:
My workflow depends heavily on {foldernum}.  99.9% of the time I do not include info in the Caption field, but had a request recently to do so. I guess I could for the 0.1% of the time simply copy and paste the info from other fields.  Thanks.

Kirk Baker:
Jeff,

--- Quote from: JeffV on July 07, 2020, 09:06:50 AM ---My workflow depends heavily on {foldernum}.  99.9% of the time I do not include info in the Caption field, but had a request recently to do so. I guess I could for the 0.1% of the time simply copy and paste the info from other fields.  Thanks.

--- End quote ---

OK, then if you don't mind putting {foldernum} in some metadata field that you don't otherwise normally use, then you will always be able to depend on the data being available (you'd instead use the variable for that field) and your lookups would always work.

-Kirk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version