Author Topic: Question Regarding Scanners  (Read 2524 times)

Offline kclaar

• View Profile
Question Regarding Scanners
« on: July 09, 2020, 07:15:50 PM »
Kirk,

I'm using Windows 10 Home and the latest PM6+ build and a Nikon Cool scan V with Nikon Scan 4.03 for Vista. The scanner and the old Nikon Scan software are working fine. My question is in regard to the NEF files the scanner creates - on the contact sheet, none of the images shows the magnifying glass to take the image full screen.

Could you explain why this happens on the NEF files? I tried a jpg file and it works fine. I have noticed that PM6+ is slower on the jpg files than on the NEF files - probably due to size.

Thanks for your help,
-- Ken

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Question Regarding Scanners
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 11:30:54 AM »
Ken,

I'm using Windows 10 Home and the latest PM6+ build and a Nikon Cool scan V with Nikon Scan 4.03 for Vista. The scanner and the old Nikon Scan software are working fine. My question is in regard to the NEF files the scanner creates - on the contact sheet, none of the images shows the magnifying glass to take the image full screen.

Could you explain why this happens on the NEF files? I tried a jpg file and it works fine. I have noticed that PM6+ is slower on the jpg files than on the NEF files - probably due to size.

Because the NEFs produced by your scanner don't have embedded JPEG previews.  And PM can't render them directly.

-Kirk

Offline kclaar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 11:57:45 AM »
Kirk,

Thank you. The other interesting thing I found after I wrote the post was that if I edited an image in Nikon Capture NX2, the magnifying glass would appear for that image. Once in full screen mode, I could use the arrow keys to move around and view the other images without the hour glass.

All in all, it is easier to save in jpg format.
-- Ken

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 06:04:47 PM »
Ken,

Thank you. The other interesting thing I found after I wrote the post was that if I edited an image in Nikon Capture NX2, the magnifying glass would appear for that image. Once in full screen mode, I could use the arrow keys to move around and view the other images without the hour glass.

All in all, it is easier to save in jpg format.

Capture NX2 adds embedded JPEG previews when you save adjusted NEFs.

-Kirk

Offline kclaar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 07:35:08 PM »
Kirk,

I understand that. But once I opened an image that went through Capture NX2, I was also able to view the other images full screen that only went through Nikon Scan. The image that went through Capture NX2 gave me the ability to go full screen, and once there, I was able to use the arrow keys and view images that only went through Nikon Scan.

Hope that explains it better. Also noticed that the resolution on the Nikon Scan only images wasn't terrific at full screen.
-- Ken

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 01:13:50 PM »
Ken,

I understand that. But once I opened an image that went through Capture NX2, I was also able to view the other images full screen that only went through Nikon Scan. The image that went through Capture NX2 gave me the ability to go full screen, and once there, I was able to use the arrow keys and view images that only went through Nikon Scan.

Hope that explains it better. Also noticed that the resolution on the Nikon Scan only images wasn't terrific at full screen.

Right.  You're seeing the thumbnail scaled up to preview resolution.  We don't entirely stop you from viewing those images that have no previews if you manage to open the preview window with an image that does have preview capability, you just can't start a preview session with an image that has no preview.

-Kirk