Author Topic: Folder structure incorrect in Browse  (Read 5437 times)

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
  • Photo Mechanic daily user since 2001
    • View Profile
    • Simon Wheeler Photography
Folder structure incorrect in Browse
« on: July 11, 2020, 12:10:41 PM »
PM Plus Build 4826 (4293d5e)
MacBook Pro Mid 2015
OS 10.14.6
2.8 Ghz i7
16 GB Ram
Data stored on a 2TB 3.5 inch Western Digital OWC USB 3.0 dual dock. Same problem on a Voyager single dock Firewire to Lightening 2 adapter

I have one one catalog besides the default. I'm not using the default catalog.

After I scanned about 1200 .tifs to a catalog everything was working fine.

At some point I changed the folder structure on the hard drive.

Now when I look at the hard drive via the Browse tab, in vertical text at the left of PM Plus window, the folder hierarchy still appears as it was before I reorganized the folders. It's like PM Plus has the folder path hierarchy cached somewhere. None of the images in the folders that I moved in the hierarchy show up as being online in PM Plus, even though they are still on the hard drive in their new location. I would have hoped refresh or rescan might have solved this.

If I switch to the PM view, the white heart on the folder icon then the folder structure on the hard drive is correct in the Navigator pane.

Thanks for your time. Not urgent. I love the product in general. It allows me to see my work in a whole new way. Thank you.

Simon Wheeler

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Folder structure incorrect in Browse
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 01:16:36 PM »
Simon,

Data stored on a 2TB 3.5 inch Western Digital OWC USB 3.0 dual dock. Same problem on a Voyager single dock Firewire to Lightening 2 adapter

I have one one catalog besides the default. I'm not using the default catalog.

After I scanned about 1200 .tifs to a catalog everything was working fine.

At some point I changed the folder structure on the hard drive.

Now when I look at the hard drive via the Browse tab, in vertical text at the left of PM Plus window, the folder hierarchy still appears as it was before I reorganized the folders. It's like PM Plus has the folder path hierarchy cached somewhere. None of the images in the folders that I moved in the hierarchy show up as being online in PM Plus, even though they are still on the hard drive in their new location. I would have hoped refresh or rescan might have solved this.

If I switch to the PM view, the white heart on the folder icon then the folder structure on the hard drive is correct in the Navigator pane.

This is a known issue/missing feature.  You made a change to your folder structure outside of Photo Mechanic Plus and it does not know that the folder structure has changed.

-Kirk

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
  • Photo Mechanic daily user since 2001
    • View Profile
    • Simon Wheeler Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 01:29:50 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thanks for the fast response. I didn't find it in a scan of the forum. I presume I have to discard the catalog and make a new one.

Simon

Offline erbro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 11:26:26 PM »
Hello,

I had the same issue as described above. 

Initially I ingest photos on my C: drive. After a while I move them to my NAS.  I understand, that if I do this move of folder outside PM, the catoalog will not be adapted.

I tought a rescan would be the solution to get the folder structure correct but it doen't solve the issue. Can you confirm that the only option is to create a new catalog ? It is not an issue but as it is time consuming, before starting that provcess I jsut want to cross check if there is no better option

thank you

Best regards
Eric

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 11:52:52 PM »
Eric,

I had the same issue as described above. 

Initially I ingest photos on my C: drive. After a while I move them to my NAS.  I understand, that if I do this move of folder outside PM, the catoalog will not be adapted.

I tought a rescan would be the solution to get the folder structure correct but it doen't solve the issue. Can you confirm that the only option is to create a new catalog ? It is not an issue but as it is time consuming, before starting that provcess I jsut want to cross check if there is no better option

That problem has been addressed since the post above in July.  Get the updated build here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13663.0

Once updated, launch Photo Mechanic Plus.  In the Browse tab of the Organizer, open the "Folder Paths" sub-tree.  Then navigate to your folder that moved.  Right-click on it and you will see a contextual menu that lets you "Choose new location..." which will bring up a folder picker dialog.  Navigate to the new location and choose the folder.  If the number of files that were moved is large then this can take a few minutes.  Everything should update and you don't have to build a new catalog.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline manitou22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 05:18:08 PM »
I went through many folders and re-organized them this past weekend and I am having the same issue. I rescanned and it still shows the old structure. I didn't move anything to another location, I just deleted a bunch of files and consolidated the folders (it was a big shoot/project). I thought if I did a full sync the changes would be seen by Photo Mechanic Plus. It is seeing files that were there before but are since gone. Maybe I need to delete the whole catalog and start over? I have the latest build. Thx!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 05:23:44 PM »
I went through many folders and re-organized them this past weekend and I am having the same issue. I rescanned and it still shows the old structure. I didn't move anything to another location, I just deleted a bunch of files and consolidated the folders (it was a big shoot/project). I thought if I did a full sync the changes would be seen by Photo Mechanic Plus. It is seeing files that were there before but are since gone. Maybe I need to delete the whole catalog and start over? I have the latest build. Thx!

When you say that you consolidated the folders, what does that entail?  Can you give me an example of what the structure was like before and after?

-Kirk

Offline manitou22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 06:22:52 PM »
Sure!

I deleted and consolidated many files from several folders into two. I'll attach screenshots.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 06:26:59 PM »
I deleted and consolidated many files from several folders into two. I'll attach screenshots.

I only see one screenshot, do you have the before?

-Kirk

Offline manitou22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2021, 06:51:04 PM »
Sorry, thought I attached it. Here it is.

Offline manitou22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2021, 08:38:03 PM »
I figured out I can see which files were deleted via the little yellow dot at bottom right of the thumbnail. So maybe I can select them all and remove them from the catalog.

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001162818-working-with-offline-or-missing-media

I can't imagine ever needing to see images that aren't in a folder, as in "working offline." And this doesn't fix the incorrect folder issue. Hmmmm?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2021, 08:04:38 AM »
Did you already perform a Full Catalog Sync?  It should find any images that exist in a new location, but it won't remove any missing images.  For the missing images, you will have to do what you described.  Select the missing images (you can do this by using the "Select Missing" command on the Edit menu) and then use the "Remove Selected Items" command on the Catalog menu.

If that doesn't make the folders that no longer exist disappear from the Folder Path sub-tree in the Browse tree, then let us know.

-Kirk

Offline manitou22

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2021, 10:10:32 AM »
Yes!  This worked great.  And the number of items in the folders didn't match but that was because there were some .xpm files, all good!

From now on I will try to re-organize via photo mechanic.

Thanks Kirk!