Author Topic: not Reading Exif Artist and Copyright field  (Read 1586 times)

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
not Reading Exif Artist and Copyright field
« on: July 13, 2020, 11:18:54 AM »
Hi,

I just noticed something odd. If I shoot RAW+JPEG on either of my Fujifilm cameras, Photo Mechanic isn't reading the Creator/Artist or the Copyright that the cameras are writing to the Exif. Now the weird(est) part: this appears to happen only when shooting RAW+JPEG. Or maybe the "only when I use my Fuji cameras" is the weirdest part, I dunno. When I looked back to when I only shot some RAWs-only, the camera-written copyright info was visible.

I looked in ExifTool and the fields I expect to be populated are present in IFD0 and they look just like their counterparts - RAF-to-JPEG-to-Nikon-NEF.

I only shoot RAW+JPEG on the Fujis, but I tried a frame that way on a Nikon and Photo Mechanic did read the Nikon-written Exif fields. So, only Fuji, only RAW+JPEG.

I do apply a template that writes to the Transref on Ingest, but that template doesn't write to Creator or Copyright.

I'll attach a sample file from the XP3.

PM6   build 4851 (8540bbd)       PM6+  build 4826 (4293d5e)        Fujifilm X-Pro3 and X100F; Nikon D810; Mac OS 10.13.6

-Carl

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: not Reading Exif Artist and Copyright field
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 11:09:54 AM »
Carl,

Well that's interesting.  Looks like Fuji writes out a 512 char copyright and 256 char artist.  PM isn't expecting such a large size.  Easy fix in PM but I'm afraid there isn't an easy workaround for you right now.  Regardless of the string sizes you put in the camera, Fuji is going to put out 512 or 256 chars (padded with space chars which PM will trim).  We'll get you a build to verify.

Easiest fix I suppose is to put your copyright and artist in metadata template for ingest.  That way you can use the proper copyright character "©" which cameras don't let you enter (a lot of folks put "(c)" but this isn't legitimate "legally").

--dennis

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
Re: not Reading Exif Artist and Copyright field
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 11:34:07 AM »
Cool. I'll be happy to check out a new build.

For me - and for my readers/viewers, or at least the ones who take my advice - there is no immediate problem. My boilerplate template contains my "real", fancier copyright notice. (the real symbol, a variable for the year, web contact address, etc.) Any photo that I actually develop, much less turn-in or publish, has that template applied. At ingest, I do add the original filename in the Transref. But that's only me.

Thanks!

-Carl

P.S. for lurkers: Note that in order to "do any good", your copyright info needs to be in the IPTC fields. Google, for example, will never see it otherwise. Photo Mechanic will write it there for you if you put it in your template or if PM has read it from the Exif your camera writes. So long as you save or "OK" any metadata change in PM. But one way or the other, you should put your info in the IPTC fields. Don't depend on your camera.