Author Topic: Filenames and Path Length Limitations?  (Read 2205 times)

Offline outdoormagic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Filenames and Path Length Limitations?
« on: July 13, 2020, 05:51:44 PM »
I have been using PM for some time on Mac. No issues. It’s just great.

Then, I open the same drive on PM on Windows 10 Pro. Long path names on Windows are enabled to bypass the 260 path length limit.

I can browse and see the files in Explorer, however, once the total path exceeds 260, they don’t show up in PM6. Now, I get that I such deep folders may be ridiculous, yet I don’t understand why if Windows allows me to see the file, PM6 doesn’t (it sees that there is a file while scanning/importing, but then marks it as moved or not available). But it does on the Mac with the same drive.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Filenames and Path Length Limitations?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 08:14:29 PM »
Paul,

I have been using PM for some time on Mac. No issues. It’s just great.

Then, I open the same drive on PM on Windows 10 Pro. Long path names on Windows are enabled to bypass the 260 path length limit.

I can browse and see the files in Explorer, however, once the total path exceeds 260, they don’t show up in PM6. Now, I get that I such deep folders may be ridiculous, yet I don’t understand why if Windows allows me to see the file, PM6 doesn’t (it sees that there is a file while scanning/importing, but then marks it as moved or not available). But it does on the Mac with the same drive.

What am I missing?

PM is not currently compatible with long paths on Windows. Windows offers two methods of accessing files and we're using an older API that can't handle long paths. It needs to be addressed at some point.  We'll have to determine whether it is feasible.

-Kirk

Offline outdoormagic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Filenames and Path Length Limitations?
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 05:10:55 AM »
Ok Kirk. Thanks!

Btw, I’m really enjoying PM plus. Great job!