Author Topic: Issues with creating second catalog on upgrade to latest release  (Read 12806 times)

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
I have some strange problems when upgrading to the latest release.

1. I created a Default catalog on the previous (June 2020) build.  It contained about 10K images

2. I  upgraded to the current release Build 4826 (4293d5e). I did not change the default catalog.

3. I added about 3K images that I indexed and Scanned to Catalog.

4. I created a new catalog that incorporated all of the folders/images. This catalog should have been the same as the Default after step 3.

5. I selected one IPTC variable (Location:city legacy). I get a longest of cities where events took place. Both Catalogs were checked for search.

6. I unchecked the Default catalog--all of the cities  except those added in step 3 disappeared. The cities list in the new catalog only contains the metadata from the new fields added after the upgrade.

7. if I pick one of the cities in the new list and click, I get a contact sheet containing entirely wrong information--the city in the images shown is correct for the image, but is not the city desired. If I then click the field again, the correct contact sheet is displayed--all of the images have the correct city for the event.

8. this behavior occurs for several IPTC fields--but I did not check them all.

9. I  then deleted the Default catalog developed under the previous release and the new Catalog and started over from scratch. The new catalog appears to have been created correctly. The above behavior is not observed. Everything seems to run correctly.

10. I have not yet tried to create a second catalog and duplicate the above.  Is tis step desired?

Bob
Bob Hendricks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Issues with creating second catalog on upgrade to latest release
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 02:59:02 PM »
Bob,

I have some strange problems when upgrading to the latest release.

1. I created a Default catalog on the previous (June 2020) build.  It contained about 10K images

2. I  upgraded to the current release Build 4826 (4293d5e). I did not change the default catalog.

3. I added about 3K images that I indexed and Scanned to Catalog.

4. I created a new catalog that incorporated all of the folders/images. This catalog should have been the same as the Default after step 3.

5. I selected one IPTC variable (Location:city legacy). I get a longest of cities where events took place. Both Catalogs were checked for search.

6. I unchecked the Default catalog--all of the cities  except those added in step 3 disappeared. The cities list in the new catalog only contains the metadata from the new fields added after the upgrade.

This is in the Browse tree, right?  Can you post a screenshot showing that section of the tree with both catalogs set for Search and another screenshot showing only the new catalog set for Search, please?

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshots.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 03:24:13 PM »
Kirk:

Will do.

But in the meantime, I created a second catalog to which I added one more folder of images that were not indexed in the first catalog.In this case, I found the following:

1. The issue of variables not showing up as indicated in item 6 of my original post does not occur.

2. However, the behavior of clicking on an IPTC variable (I used cities again) and getting a contact sheet of entirely wrong images as described in 7 above is reproducible.  If I  pick a different variable and then go back to cities again , I get the correct contact sheet.

I will do the screen shots as requested after dinner.

Bob

Bob Hendricks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 03:36:58 PM »
Bob,

But in the meantime, I created a second catalog to which I added one more folder of images that were not indexed in the first catalog.In this case, I found the following:

2. However, the behavior of clicking on an IPTC variable (I used cities again) and getting a contact sheet of entirely wrong images as described in 7 above is reproducible.  If I  pick a different variable and then go back to cities again , I get the correct contact sheet.

Which "Cities"?  There are several.  And are you sure you're looking for the matching field in the Metadata Info?

-Kirk

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 04:59:18 AM »
This has been a very difficult problem to reproduce. As requested, here are details with screen shots and a few comments. There might be some user error along the way that I would be glad to learn I should not do.

1. exit PM and check Force Quit to be sure it is not loaded.

2. launch fresh copy of PM

3. Select File => New Window (note instructions in window to go to Navigator and drop a folder.  I do not want to do this. I want to search for images that meet a certain criterion.  In this example, I want to find all the images for which an event occurred in a certain city. thus, I do the following:

3. Select the Catalog icon rather than the navigator icon and select the Filter tab.  (See screenshot 1). Note that I have two catalogs. The only difference between the two is that the upper catalog has all of my images created from 1997 to 2012 and the second has  all the images from 1997 to 2012 plus the images from 2020. Both of these catalogs were built fresh with the current build of PM.

To keep screenshots in order and the discussion about each clear, I will post each in separate posts.
Bob Hendricks

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 06:08:57 AM »
From the above page, select New => Rating => IPTC => Location (Legacy) and select City.   You get a long list of cities where my events have taken place.  See Screenshot 2.
Bob Hendricks

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 06:14:47 AM »
Scroll the cities and find Peabody: most of the time a single click on the city will load the correct images into the window.

Now, open a new window by clicking the plus (+) in the top  bar. This window will be untitled.

Now highlight Pittsburg from the list of cities.  See next screenshot.
Bob Hendricks

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 06:17:10 AM »
Notice that although Pittsburg is highlighted, there is a blue bar over the city called Melk.  All of the images shown in the window are those of Melk. If you now double click on Pittsburg, you will get all of the correct images.
Bob Hendricks

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 06:19:28 AM »
This can happen with multiplee locations.  In another example, open a new window and select Mt Vernon (with a single click).  In this case, Julich has the blue bar and all of the images are of Julich.
Bob Hendricks

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 06:28:39 AM »
The observation is that 99% of the time, a single click on a city will put the white box around the city name, fill the background blue and show the correct images.  But in some cases, the single click  puts the white box around the desired city, puts the blue background somewhere else (always seems to be above the selected city by about 10 - 12 cities) and  it shows the the images for the city outlined in blue. Double click on the desired city and then the blue background is moved to the desired city and you get the correct images.

I have tried this many, many times with a wide range of cities, and the results seem to be random.  Most of the time, a single click on a given city loads the correct data, but on occasion you get the behavior documented. For a while yesterday, I was convinced the problem magically went away. I could not reproduce the problem. But then, when I tried today, I get exactly as documented.  It seems to happen with some cities and not with others, but that may be because it is statistically a low-probability event.

Bob
Bob Hendricks

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 06:54:32 AM »
Yep... same with keywords..
from time to time, especially on the first "click" on one of the keywords in the list, the blue selection bar is positioned elsewhere (12 positions above) than the place of the "click".
I work with 1 catalog
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 07:13:57 AM by Dub »
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 08:58:16 AM »
Bob,

Thanks for the detailed report and screenshots.  I will look into the problem.

-Kirk

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 11:27:07 AM »
Just for the record, my computer specs are:

iMac 27" late 2012
32 GB memory
Thunderbolt 2nd screen
OS 10.14.6 (Mojave with latest updates)

PM6+  is Build 4826 (4293d5e)
Bob Hendricks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2020, 03:57:21 PM »
Bob (and Dub),

Could you please try this build?

https://www.camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanicPlusR4888_91c96235.dmg

I think it should address the issue you discovered.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 10:53:11 PM »
Hello Kirk,
The problem is still present in some cases ...
You close the Filter tab and click on a keyword, the keyword turns blue (and the photos are displayed, ok) ... if you click twice or double click on it, it is the one located 12 positions higher which is selected and the photos attached to this keyword.
If you double click several times there is a back and forth phenomenon...
Hope this is understandable...  :-\

;)

Edit: This happens again, just once, without closing the Filter tab, by clicking on another keyword
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 11:16:12 PM by Dub »
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/