Author Topic: Display of duplicate images when two different catalogs are selected  (Read 365 times)

Offline Bob Hendricks

• View Profile
If you have two different catalogs selected simultaneously, and if the two have some images in common, then you are shown the two identical images side by side.  If there are a large number, this requires twice as much screen real estate as is really needed. Why is this desirable?  I would suggest it is necessary to show only one copy.  If you want to know from which catalog the image was selected, just turn off one catalog (uncheck it). If the image remains, you know that it belongs to the checked catalog and if it goes away, it belongs to the unchecked catalog.

Of course, this problem compounds if you (for some reason) have three catalogs selected.

My choice would be to show a given image only once, rather than twice.

Any user comments?

Kirk?
Bob Hendricks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Display of duplicate images when two different catalogs are selected
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 08:20:39 AM »
Bob,

If you have two different catalogs selected simultaneously, and if the two have some images in common, then you are shown the two identical images side by side.  If there are a large number, this requires twice as much screen real estate as is really needed. Why is this desirable?  I would suggest it is necessary to show only one copy.  If you want to know from which catalog the image was selected, just turn off one catalog (uncheck it). If the image remains, you know that it belongs to the checked catalog and if it goes away, it belongs to the unchecked catalog.

Of course, this problem compounds if you (for some reason) have three catalogs selected.

My choice would be to show a given image only once, rather than twice.

OK, so which catalog should have its images shown, and which one should have its images not shown?  Why add the same images to two catalogs in the first place?  How would you tell whether you have actual duplicates?  (the case being the same images in two different folder hierarchies both added to the same catalog.)

-Kirk