Author Topic: Custom FTP Sizes  (Read 5355 times)

Offline joetothphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Custom FTP Sizes
« on: August 11, 2007, 09:43:02 AM »
When FTP'ng images I would like to be able to select the size I want for FTP'ng. If I need to send my images as 500k then that should be an option. Any chance?

Joe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Custom FTP Sizes
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2007, 03:52:53 PM »
Joe,

When FTP'ng images I would like to be able to select the size I want for FTP'ng. If I need to send my images as 500k then that should be an option. Any chance?

If I understand you correctly, what you're requesting is already possible.  You just have to send as JPEG, and then change the JPEG quality or scale size until it reads around 500k for the size.  All of the images will be processed accordingly.  Some images may be smaller than 500k and some may be a little larger, but all will be in the ballpark.

-Kirk

Offline joetothphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 09:27:32 PM »
Kirk,

I am aware of that feature, but if we still have an image that is quite large the slider bar works but doesn't always get us near that magical 500k mark. I was thinking of something like an additional feature that we could just type in a number. Or am I dreaming? The reason behind this is that newspapers don't like getting live images from a game that are much bigger than 500k. Now I know we can make them a certain size in PS, but if we could just work with the ful size image - then let OM reduce it for transmission.

Joe

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 11:47:28 PM »
Joe,

I am aware of that feature, but if we still have an image that is quite large the slider bar works but doesn't always get us near that magical 500k mark. I was thinking of something like an additional feature that we could just type in a number. Or am I dreaming? The reason behind this is that newspapers don't like getting live images from a game that are much bigger than 500k. Now I know we can make them a certain size in PS, but if we could just work with the ful size image - then let OM reduce it for transmission.

Well, once you put the slider down at the lowest quality you couldn't likely publish it anyway.  The only other way to save space would be to scale down or crop the image.  Both operations can be done in the FTP As dialog.

Otherwise, what would you suggest?

-Kirk

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 03:04:28 PM »
I'd also like to see such a feature. I think what Joe is suggesting is instead of using the slider bar and "testing" a few compression levels until you get it "about right", instead there would be an option in the "FTP as" and "Save photos as" dialog boxes along the lines of "save as jpeg with whatever compression level will result in XXXkb file size" where xxx is e.g. a box for a user-entered number.
That way you quickly create a known, semi-precise, resulting file-size....
Agree this could lead to not-so-acceptable quality images in certain cases, but as the user I'm willing to shoulder that responsibility...

Thanks,
Ben