Author Topic: Cataloging  (Read 18227 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Cataloging
« on: April 18, 2007, 11:58:16 AM »
Kirk:
There was some talk a while back about adding cataloging features to PM, eliminating the need for separate programs like Portfolio or iView. Is this still in the works? Any estimate on a time frame or features list?
Keep up the great work.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cataloging
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 12:45:06 PM »
There was some talk a while back about adding cataloging features to PM, eliminating the need for separate programs like Portfolio or iView. Is this still in the works? Any estimate on a time frame or features list?

It is still in the works.  No time estimate at this point.

It will be full-featured.

-Kirk

Offline ©PERENOM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 08:55:18 AM »
It's a great news. I don't want use IviewMediapro forever.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline glewbel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 05:32:21 PM »
I've been using iView Media Pro 2.6 alongside Photo Mechanic for several years on my Mac G5, and I just want to add my voice to the clamor requesting cataloging capabilities for Photo Mechanic. The most recent update to OS X from Apple (10.4.9) has rendered iView unstable on my system. iView has quit multiple times in the middle of scrolling through categories. Photo Mechanic is absolutely stable on my system, but lacks cataloging.

I could upgrade to iView 3 or the next version after that when Microsoft--the new owner--releases it, but that might (or might not) be more compatible with the latest operating system from Apple. I would MUCH rather put the money into buying an upgraded version of Photo Mechanic with cataloging functions if that version is going to be released anytime soon. Does anyone else out there have the same thoughts?

Offline Photo_op

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 06:30:13 PM »

-Kirk

Kirk-
With the recent roll out of Expression Media v1 (iView 3.1.3+), I would encourage you to place cataloging on the front burner for feature (and future) update, to the exclusion of everythimg else! Actually, 4.5.1.2 would not be soon enough. Would we need to lobby Dennis?...... ;)

Dave
MacMini, 8 Meg RAM, OS X 10.8.2, PM 5, Lightroom 4.2, Sony 580, Fuji X10

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 07:14:09 PM »
Dave,

-Kirk

Kirk-
With the recent roll out of Expression Media v1 (iView 3.1.3+), I would encourage you to place cataloging on the front burner for feature (and future) update, to the exclusion of everythimg else! Actually, 4.5.1.2 would not be soon enough. Would we need to lobby Dennis?...... ;)

We're working on it.  It isn't a feature you add overnight!  :o

And no, you don't need to lobby Dennis.  He wants it as much as you do.

-Kirk

Offline mbrakes

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 09:54:45 AM »
Probably unnecessary, but I'd just like to add my vote for the cataloging addition. I'd really hate to "upgrade" to MS Expression-whatever  :)

Offline glewbel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 08:32:30 AM »
Too late for me... my earlier (pre-Microsoft) version of iView has become just too unstable on Mac OS X 10.4.10, and I really need cataloging software. I've ordered MS Expression Media and will have to use it as a "bridge"until PM adds cataloging features. Please, please, do this soon. There are lots of others in the same boat.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 12:11:18 PM »
Kirk et al, one question regarding your (to be) implementation of cataloguing.

I tend to also use other software to manipulate image files (e.g. (re)move/rename files).  The problem most cataloguing programs have is that after this, the catalogue looses track of the files.  In it self this is logical (and intended).  But what I really hate about cataloguing programs like Lightroom (in this respect) is that there is no way to tell which files have become disconnected/invalid, other than opening the file.  And there is certainly no (easy) way to reconnect them to the new file/location.  This is cumbersome (to say the least).

So for me (and I guess others), it is absolutely vital the catalogue functionality can at least be made to perform an integrity check, and an automated way to reconnect/remove the files.

By the way, compared to Lightroom, the simple organiser from Photoshop Elements 3 behaves much better in this respect: it has a reconnect function that automatically searches for matching files (it's a bit buggy though and doesn't always find the right ones).  But it's better than nothing and could be used as an example for PhotoMechanic :)

So the question is: do you plan to build in such a function?
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2007, 12:57:48 PM »

I tend to also use other software to manipulate image files (e.g. (re)move/rename files).  The problem most cataloguing programs have is that after this, the catalogue looses track of the files.  In it self this is logical (and intended).  But what I really hate about cataloguing programs like Lightroom (in this respect) is that there is no way to tell which files have become disconnected/invalid, other than opening the file.  And there is certainly no (easy) way to reconnect them to the new file/location.  This is cumbersome (to say the least).

So for me (and I guess others), it is absolutely vital the catalogue functionality can at least be made to perform an integrity check, and an automated way to reconnect/remove the files.

By the way, compared to Lightroom, the simple organiser from Photoshop Elements 3 behaves much better in this respect: it has a reconnect function that automatically searches for matching files (it's a bit buggy though and doesn't always find the right ones).  But it's better than nothing and could be used as an example for PhotoMechanic :)

Yes, we do.

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 03:42:18 PM »

The simple solution is not to use any other software  ;D

Under Windows, it is possble for PM to be notified that a file has been renamed/deleted/created, but PM would have to be running.  More realistically, PM would probably have to rescan the files in the catalog to make sure they are still there.  It may be possbile for PM to keep a list of "missing" files and then when it sees a "new" file compare the EXIF data and see if it can find a match.

Deven

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 04:31:54 AM »

Yes, we do.
8) Cool!  I said it before, but will say it again: you guys rock!

The simple solution is not to use any other software  ;D
True of course  ;D, but sometimes you just can't get away from the ease of use other tools or even the command-line give you...

Under Windows, it is possble for PM to be notified that a file has been renamed/deleted/created, but PM would have to be running.  More realistically, PM would probably have to rescan the files in the catalog to make sure they are still there.  It may be possbile for PM to keep a list of "missing" files and then when it sees a "new" file compare the EXIF data and see if it can find a match.
Deven, that is exactly how it should work; take the metadata from the image in the database and compare it to the files found in the rescan.  Best matches should be put forward and/or reconnected automatically.  Things to match could be. Filename, capture datetime, camera model, etc.

Note: if the database is made to cache thumbnails of the images, there should definitely also be an (automatic) way to update these thumbnails with new ones if the underlying image changed. But I'm sure that's been thought of as well :)
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline mbrown

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 05:43:51 AM »
Ok I will pipe here and add firstly thanks to Kirk and his team for all of the tireless work they are doing.  I am waiting patiently for the catalog version and look forward to it.

My question to everyone else is do you know of any free or very cheap catalog software that I could use in the meantime.  I don't want to spend a heap of money on alternative software when I will only have to fork over more to Camera Bits later and throw the other one away.  Please do not say Picassa, don't like it at all, and it kills my laptop.

Much appreciated.

Mike Brown

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 07:29:10 AM »
Mike,

Do you have Photoshop Elements?  The organiser that is included (at least with version 3) worked ok for me.  Don't use it anymore though since getting PM; I can perform all actions quick enough by opening a contact sheet with all images and performing some searches on it.  Your mileage may vary of course  ;)
Hayo Baan - Photography

Offline jimb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 09:10:54 AM »
My question to everyone else is do you know of any free or very cheap catalog software that I could use in the meantime.  I don't want to spend a heap of money on alternative software when I will only have to fork over more to Camera Bits later and throw the other one away.  Please do not say Picassa, don't like it at all, and it kills my laptop.

You weren't very specific about your requirements, but If your current folder structure is reasonably organized and you don't have tens of thousands of images, then PM's current capabilities may work for you. Its Find capability is limited to an open contact sheet, but one contact sheet can contain multiple folders/subfolders. You can search keywords, IPTC data, filenames and more.

There's also Windows Desktop Search, Google Desktop Search and others that are free. You could set up to restrict indexing to only photo directories. Note that plug-ins might be required to index and search metadata.