Author Topic: IPTC/ XMP Field "Label" can't be edited?  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Cebuna

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC/ XMP Field "Label" can't be edited?
« on: July 26, 2020, 02:33:53 AM »
I am using Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 4851 (8540bbd) on on OS X Catalina (10.15.5).
I used Light Room Classic to enter data in the xmp "label" field of pics - in order to sort my pics in the desired order. I'm not happy with LR and want to switch to PM. I can see the label field in the metadata dialog of the pic - but the field cannot be edited. This also applies to new pics not going through the mentioned LR process. The label field (under image preferences in PM) doesn't seem to be editable in PM6 - which seems strange to me.
If I tab through the metadata fields in the Metadata form, the "Label" field doesn't get the focus - another TAB brings the focus to the next field.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help!

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC/ XMP Field "Label" can't be edited?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 10:33:12 AM »
I am using Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 4851 (8540bbd) on on OS X Catalina (10.15.5).
I used Light Room Classic to enter data in the xmp "label" field of pics - in order to sort my pics in the desired order. I'm not happy with LR and want to switch to PM. I can see the label field in the metadata dialog of the pic - but the field cannot be edited. This also applies to new pics not going through the mentioned LR process. The label field (under image preferences in PM) doesn't seem to be editable in PM6 - which seems strange to me.
If I tab through the metadata fields in the Metadata form, the "Label" field doesn't get the focus - another TAB brings the focus to the next field.

What am I doing wrong?

In the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog on the General page, there is a checkbox preference titled "Synchronize Color Class with IPTC/XMP Label" which is likely checked (on).  Click on it to remove the check mark.

OK the Preferences dialog.  That should do it.

On the other hand, if you just edit your Color Class labels (in the same place as the checkmark) then you can set your labels in a variety of places in PM by choosing a color that corresponds to your desired label.  That's how most people do it and that's why the "Synchronize" checkbox is set by default.

But you can work however you like.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Cebuna

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: IPTC/ XMP Field "Label" can't be edited?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 11:16:50 AM »
Perfect, thank you!  :)