Author Topic: Erase Source Disk does not work!!! PM6 Build 4851  (Read 4040 times)

Offline ahmedphotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Erase Source Disk does not work!!! PM6 Build 4851
« on: August 06, 2020, 08:18:03 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am running PM6 Build 4851 on a MacBook Pro 2018 with OS Catalina 10.15.6 and I am noticing that my Sandisk Extreme Pro CF Express card (128GB) will not erase after ingest. I have tried several times and each time the images are still left on the card. I have also tried several other card readers (Sandisk/ProGrade etc.) but still the same result.

Rather frustrating. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
Mansoor Ahmed

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Erase Source Disk does not work!!! PM6 Build 4851
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 09:07:35 AM »
Ahmed,

I am running PM6 Build 4851 on a MacBook Pro 2018 with OS Catalina 10.15.6 and I am noticing that my Sandisk Extreme Pro CF Express card (128GB) will not erase after ingest. I have tried several times and each time the images are still left on the card. I have also tried several other card readers (Sandisk/ProGrade etc.) but still the same result.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline ahmedphotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 09:17:13 AM »
Thanks Kirk!

Attached log file.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 10:07:44 AM »
Ahmed,

Thank you for the log file.  I see this error multiple times in your log:

[Thu Aug-06-2020 15:51:09.476][700008712000][8111756] IngestDialog.cpp:1600 Warning: Not erasing volume "/Volumes/CFexpress B/", because it contains system files or is not a removable volume.

...followed by:

[Thu Aug-06-2020 15:51:10.986][1119bddc0][8117088] IngestTasksDialog.cpp:1367 Warning: Unable to unmount volume "/Volumes/CFexpress B/".

MacOS isn't allowing Photo Mechanic to unmount the disk and we have safety measures to never erase a volume that is not removable (usually this is an internal drive).

Why macOS treats your CFExpress disk as a non-removable disk, I do not know.  I suggest formatting in your camera.  It's the best way to get your cards ready for reuse since the camera is going format it perfectly.

-Kirk

Offline ahmedphotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 10:38:33 AM »
Thanks for that Kirk. I formatted the memory card in-camera, and did a test ingest - which worked, formatted card a-ok. Then after that it was a case of hit and miss. Have attached a further log file if it helps you?

Thanks for your help and support!

Ahmed

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 02:31:08 PM »
Ahmed,

Have you given Photo Mechanic "Full Disk Access" under Catalina?  Please see:

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001152686-trouble-using-external-drives-with-macos-catalina

It may address your issue.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline ahmedphotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 02:47:58 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Yes I had already given full access under the Privacy tab in Catalina.

Many thanks

Ahmed

Offline ahmedphotos

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 03:05:22 PM »
Will a future update address the issue Kirk? It's a feature that speeds up my workflow tremendously. Surely I am not the only one shooting on a Nikon D6 with Sandisk CF Express Cards (or any other branded card for that matter) running PM6 that has also encountered the issue??!!!!!

If its a nailed-on no - then guess there is not a lot we can do, but thought I pose that question now.

Many thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 04:27:46 PM »
Ahmed,

Will a future update address the issue Kirk? It's a feature that speeds up my workflow tremendously. Surely I am not the only one shooting on a Nikon D6 with Sandisk CF Express Cards (or any other branded card for that matter) running PM6 that has also encountered the issue??!!!!!

If its a nailed-on no - then guess there is not a lot we can do, but thought I pose that question now.

This problem only happens on macOS.  On Windows, the same hardware will work fine and PM will erase the disk.  I don't know why Apple treats CF Express cards differently to other types of removable media.

We're reluctant to delete files on disks that the OS says are not removable.  It could be a complete disaster if someone were to use Ingest on their boot drive and have Ingest set to erase the disk.

-Kirk