Author Topic: Move To Trash not working on networked drive  (Read 4892 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
Move To Trash not working on networked drive
« on: August 06, 2020, 10:33:18 PM »
build 4910 (de2d622)
macOS 10.14.6

The “Move To Trash” menu item no longer works to remove folders on a networked drive (external drive connected to an Airport Extreme). If I choose a folder in the Navigator and select Move To Trash, I get the correct warning “The item "TEST FOLDER” will be deleted immediately. Are you sure you want to continue?”. I click OK and the images in the contact sheet disappear, but TEST FOLDER still appears in the Navigator. Both the folder and the images still exist on the drive. If I click on TEST FOLDER again, the images reappear in a contact sheet.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Move To Trash not working on networked drive
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 07:34:34 AM »
build 4910 (de2d622)
macOS 10.14.6

The “Move To Trash” menu item no longer works to remove folders on a networked drive (external drive connected to an Airport Extreme). If I choose a folder in the Navigator and select Move To Trash, I get the correct warning “The item "TEST FOLDER” will be deleted immediately. Are you sure you want to continue?”. I click OK and the images in the contact sheet disappear, but TEST FOLDER still appears in the Navigator. Both the folder and the images still exist on the drive. If I click on TEST FOLDER again, the images reappear in a contact sheet.

Sounds like a permissions problem.  I expect that if you correct that issue that the folder will be deleted.

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 10:08:33 AM »

Sounds like a permissions problem.  I expect that if you correct that issue that the folder will be deleted.

-Kirk

Just to be clear, I'm not having this issue with one specific folder. This happens with any and all folders on my networked drive. All folder permissions are "Read & Write", and the folders are not locked. No problem deleting folders using the Finder.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 11:15:15 AM »
Is PM able to create a folder on your networked drive?
If it can create one, can it delete it?

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 12:44:02 PM »
PM was able to create a new folder, but as before it wasn't able to delete it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 01:21:19 PM »
PM was able to create a new folder, but as before it wasn't able to delete it.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 01:24:07 PM »
Log file attached...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 06:01:50 PM »
Thanks.  I'll look into it on Monday.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 10:41:47 AM »
I'm able to "Move to Trash" a folder that I created in the Navigator, from the Navigator.

Did your new folder have any files in it when you tried to "Move to Trash"?  Mine was empty.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 11:04:34 AM »

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 05:47:58 PM »
Beta 21 fixes the issue.  http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13499.0

-Kirk

Sorry I missed your previous question... didn't get a notification for some reason.

I tried Beta 21 and got some perplexing results. I created a test folder and copied a few photos into it. After selecting "Move To Trash" the images disappear from the contact sheet, but the folder remained. I used the Finder to look inside the folder and the images were in fact gone, but the folder contained a file named ".afpDeleted209720". I tried to delete that file manually and got an error "The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.(Error code -43)" but oddly the file deleted anyway. Trying to delete the test folder manually resulted in the error "The operation can’t be completed because the item “TEST” is in use.". I quit PM, disconnected from the server, then reconnected, and that allowed the folder to be deleted via the Finder.

I then tried to repeat the above test multiple times and it worked perfectly every time. Weird. It just fixed itself... maybe from the reboot of PM, or maybe due to disconnecting and reconnecting the server. Dunno, but all seems well now. I'll post back if it happens again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2020, 05:51:22 PM »
Beta 21 fixes the issue.  http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13499.0

Sorry I missed your previous question... didn't get a notification for some reason.

I tried Beta 21 and got some perplexing results. I created a test folder and copied a few photos into it. After selecting "Move To Trash" the images disappear from the contact sheet, but the folder remained. I used the Finder to look inside the folder and the images were in fact gone, but the folder contained a file named ".afpDeleted209720". I tried to delete that file manually and got an error "The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.(Error code -43)" but oddly the file deleted anyway. Trying to delete the test folder manually resulted in the error "The operation can’t be completed because the item “TEST” is in use.". I quit PM, disconnected from the server, then reconnected, and that allowed the folder to be deleted via the Finder.

I then tried to repeat the above test multiple times and it worked perfectly every time. Weird. It just fixed itself... maybe from the reboot of PM, or maybe due to disconnecting and reconnecting the server. Dunno, but all seems well now. I'll post back if it happens again.

OK, interesting.  I can tell you that PM is definitely not creating a file named .afpDelete<digits>.

On macOS I call a function provided by Apple to move a folder to the Trash.  If it fails then I delete all of the files in the folder and then attempt to delete the folder itself.  It worked on my NAS (Synology).  But it definitely does not create any files throughout that process.

-Kirk