Author Topic: Several suggestions  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Jon Paul Davidson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Several suggestions
« on: August 26, 2020, 10:16:14 AM »
1. Slow down the speed(or add a speed control setting)  with which one needs to type keywords in the Metadata template, as I have frequently found the wrong word appear as it decides what word to display before I have given it enough letters to distinguish 2 similar keywords.

2. Not sure if there is a preference setting that would enable the time of day that an image was taken on the date line of a thumbnail.  A commercial photographer would not need that, but I frequently need that from other people’s images to determine which of the 2 events on the same day that an image belongs.

3.  On Contact Sheet, when selecting multiple files to drag elsewhere (like the Trash!), it would be nice (but not essential) to have the moving icon LOOK like more than one file (The icon could be the same target image that one has selected) I know that you have varied the icon for multiple images by adding a black frame, but showing it to look like a group of images fanned out would be a more universal picture than the frame, as it would  reassure the user that indeed one has more than a single image that is being dragged (BRIDGE does what I have described; just open a folder with files in BRIDGE, select 2 and start dragging; The image you are dragging changes to look like multiple images.

4. In the Contact Sheet, when attempting to move a single image (like to the trash or to another folder to copy it there) if one drags too fast, other images over which one must drag the selected one, inadvertently get picked up into the selection. [This action was likely programmed to speed the initial selection of groups to be selected].  However, as a Mac user (not sure how Windows operates), I am used to selecting the first image for a group and shift+select on the last image in the group--which, by the way works perfectly.  Picking up a group of images when intending to select a single one is annoying as it requires either a pause, or a stutter in the movement of the mouse before actually moving the image.

5. NAVIGATOR & ORGANIZER need to have text appear that displays those labels when holding the mouse still over the icon.  When a person is new to the application they need to have that help with terminology to match with the info in the manual.

6. METADATA:  It is so easy to forget to uncheck an item that one does not wish to add from a previous Metadata template that was used,  It would be very helpful if one could call up a Metadata template, enter an item to be removed, and select a group of files from which that item could be removed.

7. Could you add a DELETE button to the INFO window?  I find that I am often doing a last check through a folder of images before cataloging, using the info window and the very helpful “save+next” and copy/paste features.  However when I catch something that is a duplicate or has a bad expression, I want to delete it and have to keep a list then go back and find those in the contact sheet to delete.

8.  It would be helpful it one could delete an image (drag to trash) from the images that are scrollable  at the bottom of the full screen display which opens when selecting the magnify glass in the contact sheet.  I need to either make a list to later delete from the contact sheet or exit the full screen display to delete the image from the contact sheet.  If that is not possible, perhaps you could enable one to select images in that full screen display that would show as selected in the contact sheet when exiting the full screen display, enabling those selected images to be moved or deleted then from the contact sheet. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Several suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 12:56:36 PM »
Jon Paul,

1. Slow down the speed(or add a speed control setting)  with which one needs to type keywords in the Metadata template, as I have frequently found the wrong word appear as it decides what word to display before I have given it enough letters to distinguish 2 similar keywords.

You can adjust the number of letters that need to be typed before autocomplete kicks in.  Edit->Settings->Set Autocomplete...

2. Not sure if there is a preference setting that would enable the time of day that an image was taken on the date line of a thumbnail.  A commercial photographer would not need that, but I frequently need that from other people’s images to determine which of the 2 events on the same day that an image belongs.

You can add up to three labels to your contact sheet thumbnails.  The variable {time} should do what you're asking for.  For instance, I configure my first thumbnail label as:

{mnn3} {day} {year4} {time}

And it produces (for example): "Mar 3 2014 1:49:33 AM" right under the filename on the thumbnail.

3.  On Contact Sheet, when selecting multiple files to drag elsewhere (like the Trash!), it would be nice (but not essential) to have the moving icon LOOK like more than one file (The icon could be the same target image that one has selected) I know that you have varied the icon for multiple images by adding a black frame, but showing it to look like a group of images fanned out would be a more universal picture than the frame, as it would  reassure the user that indeed one has more than a single image that is being dragged (BRIDGE does what I have described; just open a folder with files in BRIDGE, select 2 and start dragging; The image you are dragging changes to look like multiple images.

We won't likely change this.  When I select multiple images on macOS in Photo Mechanic and drag them, there is a red indicator with a number in it that represents the number of files being dragged.  If only one image is selected and dragged then there is no indicator.

4. In the Contact Sheet, when attempting to move a single image (like to the trash or to another folder to copy it there) if one drags too fast, other images over which one must drag the selected one, inadvertently get picked up into the selection. [This action was likely programmed to speed the initial selection of groups to be selected].  However, as a Mac user (not sure how Windows operates), I am used to selecting the first image for a group and shift+select on the last image in the group--which, by the way works perfectly.  Picking up a group of images when intending to select a single one is annoying as it requires either a pause, or a stutter in the movement of the mouse before actually moving the image.

If we make such a change, it will have to be a preference.  Too many people already are accustomed to Photo Mechanic's selection system.

5. NAVIGATOR & ORGANIZER need to have text appear that displays those labels when holding the mouse still over the icon.  When a person is new to the application they need to have that help with terminology to match with the info in the manual.

I tried to add tooltips to the "segmented control" and they don't appear.  I researched the problem and found this documentation: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/appkit/nssegmentedcell/1500186-settooltip?language=objc

Discussion
Tooltips are currently not displayed.

So it's just not possible, sorry.

6. METADATA:  It is so easy to forget to uncheck an item that one does not wish to add from a previous Metadata template that was used,  It would be very helpful if one could call up a Metadata template, enter an item to be removed, and select a group of files from which that item could be removed.

I just don't understand this request at all.  How would the user "enter an item to be removed"?  If you can provide mockups with annotations then that may help me understand your needs.

7. Could you add a DELETE button to the INFO window?  I find that I am often doing a last check through a folder of images before cataloging, using the info window and the very helpful “save+next” and copy/paste features.  However when I catch something that is a duplicate or has a bad expression, I want to delete it and have to keep a list then go back and find those in the contact sheet to delete.

You're talking about the Metadata Info window.  I suppose we could add a delete button.  We'll consider it.

8.  It would be helpful it one could delete an image (drag to trash) from the images that are scrollable  at the bottom of the full screen display which opens when selecting the magnify glass in the contact sheet.  I need to either make a list to later delete from the contact sheet or exit the full screen display to delete the image from the contact sheet.  If that is not possible, perhaps you could enable one to select images in that full screen display that would show as selected in the contact sheet when exiting the full screen display, enabling those selected images to be moved or deleted then from the contact sheet.

There's a trashcan icon in the Preview window toolbar that will delete an image directly.  You can press the delete or backspace key to do the equivalent of clicking the button.  Does that not suffice?

Thanks for the suggestions.

-Kirk

Offline Jon Paul Davidson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Several suggestions
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 01:21:08 PM »
Thanks, Kirk.  Your replies were very helpful. 
#4 I would suggest adding a preference to change this (down the line for future upgrades possibly, as it's not really essential).  It would then match a MacOS legacy procedure (Of course one never knows when Apple will suddenly change one of their legacy actions!)

#6.  I will make another attempt to describe this later.

#8.  Yes, the trash can is perfect, I forgot it was up there! -- Now, how about adding the "Cmd+Z" function to undo the delete.  I have found that action in BRIDGE very helpful when i suddenly realize my decision was too hasty!

You guys are doing a fantastic job of creating a stunning application!  I shall download and change to the new build today. - Jon Davidson