Author Topic: Network folders and the Navigator  (Read 8333 times)

Offline gajones

• View Profile
Network folders and the Navigator
« on: May 12, 2006, 08:59:35 PM »
I have noticed that when I open a folder of images on a local disk (either by dragging and dropping onto PM or from the File:Open menu) the folder is highlighted in the Navigator. However, when I open a network folder, it isn't shown in the Navigator. Is there any fix for this?

Gareth

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Network folders and the Navigator
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 11:47:58 PM »
I have noticed that when I open a folder of images on a local disk (either by dragging and dropping onto PM or from the File:Open menu) the folder is highlighted in the Navigator. However, when I open a network folder, it isn't shown in the Navigator. Is there any fix for this?

No and it is intentional.  In writing the Navigator on the Mac (I'm guessing you're on a Mac but you didn't say so) I found that expanding a path on Network volumes was so painfully slow as to be unusable, so when I see that the path that is trying to expand is a Networked path, then I skip the expansion. I could have a preference to enable it anyway for those who can bear it, but the real solution would be to generate the directory information on a background thread so that it would be decoupled from the user interface thread.  Then it could take five minutes but it wouldn't stop you from using the rest of PM.  Unfortunately that isn't simple programming, but it is a feature I would like to implement.

-Kirk

Offline gajones

• View Profile
Re: Network folders and the Navigator
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 08:57:04 AM »
ok, thanks for the info Kirk.