Author Topic: Keywords and Hierarchical Keywords  (Read 8710 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Keywords and Hierarchical Keywords
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2020, 01:32:17 PM »
Keith, Dub,

To be clear, you don't want anything actually ignored, you just don't want any duplicates.  So if a hierarchical keyword path exists, ignore any flat keywords that are part of the hierarchical path.  Any flat keywords that are not duplicates of hierarchical keyword paths should be kept.

Correct?

-Kirk

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2020, 04:19:44 PM »
Kirk

I would prefer to have an option to include/exclude keywords from the Subject/Subject Hierarchy field. In other words the option would allow me to see keywords only from the Keywords field or from all fields.

If both flat and hierarchic keywords exist in the Keywords field then they should all be displayed, i.e. everything in the Keywords field should be displayed.

I think nothing should be left out just an option to choose which fields to use to display Keywords.

This would allow users to choose what is displayed AND PMP will always display full field contents. This is probably the easiest to implement too.

Many thanks for considering this.

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2020, 09:26:53 PM »
Keith, Dub,

To be clear, you don't want anything actually ignored, you just don't want any duplicates.  So if a hierarchical keyword path exists, ignore any flat keywords that are part of the hierarchical path.  Any flat keywords that are not duplicates of hierarchical keyword paths should be kept.

Correct?

Hello Kirk,

For me, this is correct ... and would solve the problem as simply as possible ...

Two details:
I think it's strange that nobody else shows up on this topic, it would be nice to have other user reviews impacted by this problem.
Personally, I'm not impacted by this problem anymore, I replaced LR by CR/Photoshop and everything works perfectly with PM6+, but I understand that it's really very annoying for LR or DXO users, for example.

Perhaps wait for the opinion of other users ?

;)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 11:30:43 PM by Dub »
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/

Offline Dub

• View Profile
    • instantsphotos
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2020, 10:49:46 PM »
Kirk

I would prefer to have an option to include/exclude keywords from the Subject/Subject Hierarchy field. In other words the option would allow me to see keywords only from the Keywords field or from all fields.

If both flat and hierarchic keywords exist in the Keywords field then they should all be displayed, i.e. everything in the Keywords field should be displayed.

I think nothing should be left out just an option to choose which fields to use to display Keywords.

This would allow users to choose what is displayed AND PMP will always display full field contents. This is probably the easiest to implement too.

Many thanks for considering this.

Keith,

It's already very nice that Kirk and the PM team are taking care of our request  :-[
This problem has nothing to do with PM !!! So, a big thank you to them to take it into consideration and to try to correct it as simply as possible for them.
The most efficient way, I think, would be to make a bug report to DXO.
It's up to DXO to fix this problem and to manage IPTC/XMP fields correctly.
I think this bug will be handled by DXO, for LR and Adobe, I have little hope !!!

Best regards

;)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 01:46:26 AM by Dub »
French and "English" with DeepL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MPB 13" M1 / Monterey
https://instantsphotos.fr/

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2020, 05:37:31 AM »

Keith,

It's already very nice that Kirk and the PM team are taking care of our request  :-[
This problem has nothing to do with PM !!! So, a big thank you to them to take it into consideration and to try to correct it as simply as possible for them.
The most efficient way, I think, would be to make a bug report to DXO.
It's up to DXO to fix this problem and to manage IPTC/XMP fields correctly.
I think this bug will be handled by DXO, for LR and Adobe, I have little hope !!!

Best regards

;)

Dub, I agree and I have found Kirk and the team at Camerabits extremely helpful and accommodating. i have tried getting DxO to make changes but they have been very slow although they definately are improving. I used to use Lightroom but when they changed to their subscription service after promising never to so that with Lightroom, I changed to DxO and have been extremely happy. DxO are making great strides in improving their software and listening to their users but they do need to accommodate standards like IPTC and XMP but I think they will in time.

Kirk, thanks for all your assistance, it makes PMP so much better!