Author Topic: Mac "Cmd+F" command in PM6+Beta 20  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Jon Paul Davidson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Mac "Cmd+F" command in PM6+Beta 20
« on: August 29, 2020, 10:01:01 AM »
 am running Photo Mechanic 6+Beta, build 4910 on Mac OS 10.15.6.
FIND COMMAND: (Not sure this is a bug or a requested change): I tried to find a keyword (SNOW)  by   
   1. drilling down in the Favorites(heart icon) to the folder in which I wanted to search
   2. double clicking that folder to open it in a Contact sheet. (I considered that to be “selecting”)
   3. Choosing Cmd+F to find the word SNOW & entering it
   4  “In Selected items”  checking Metadata.
   5. In the metadata list that opens, selected “Keywords” & selecting “FIND”
   6. The images that are displayed in the contact sheet did not change although the Keyword “SNOW” does not exist in many of the images in that folder.
   7. I then thought about it a bit and guessed that the choice in #4 above “In Selected Items”  meant that one needed to select items in the contact sheet (rather than that the choosing of those items FOR the contact sheet “selected” them from all else on the computer!  So I checked "all items" in the Find window, and it changes my selection to those for which was looking.

My “bug” then is that your terminology “Selected.” and “all” is not clear.  Further, if the selected items on the contact sheet change, one needs still to scroll through all the items in the given folder to identify the found items.  I would suggest that the result of the Find command should be a new contact sheet with new tab called “FOUND ITEMS” as it’s title.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Mac "Cmd+F" command in PM6+Beta 20
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 10:07:42 AM »
Jon Paul,

I am running Photo Mechanic 6+Beta, build 4910 on Mac OS 10.15.6.
FIND COMMAND: (Not sure this is a bug or a requested change): I tried to find a keyword (SNOW)  by   
   1. drilling down in the Favorites(heart icon) to the folder in which I wanted to search
   2. double clicking that folder to open it in a Contact sheet. (I considered that to be “selecting”)
   3. Choosing Cmd+F to find the word SNOW & entering it
   4  “In Selected items”  checking Metadata.
   5. In the metadata list that opens, selected “Keywords” & selecting “FIND”
   6. The images that are displayed in the contact sheet did not change although the Keyword “SNOW” does not exist in many of the images in that folder.
   7. I then thought about it a bit and guessed that the choice in #4 above “In Selected Items”  meant that one needed to select items in the contact sheet (rather than that the choosing of those items FOR the contact sheet “selected” them from all else on the computer!  So I checked "all items" in the Find window, and it changes my selection to those for which was looking.

My “bug” then is that your terminology “Selected.” and “all” is not clear.

What do you suggest that we do to make things clearer?  It makes perfect sense to me as it stands.

Further, if the selected items on the contact sheet change, one needs still to scroll through all the items in the given folder to identify the found items.  I would suggest that the result of the Find command should be a new contact sheet with new tab called “FOUND ITEMS” as it’s title.

Then use the "Plus" Search and enter "snow" there and you'll get a new tab that contains the images that have "snow" in their metadata.  It's also a lot faster than Find is.

Find and Find/Replace operate on items in a contact sheet.  They don't produce contact sheets.  I couldn't make PM's architecture produce a contact sheet containing only some items from a folder even if I wanted to (at least not in a way that would be very stable.)

-Kirk