Author Topic: Invisible files  (Read 4333 times)

Offline frishphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Invisible files
« on: April 19, 2007, 08:14:26 AM »
I am running PM4.4.3.3 on MacOS10.3.9. Frequently when I copy files via PhotoMechanic, as when I am makiung a folder of selected images, I find that some of the copied images do not show up on my desktop. When I then go to simply option-drag the file into the destination folder, I get a dialogue box which reads: "The item "XXXXXX" cannot be replaced because it is invisible." What's happening?

Rich Frishman

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Invisible files
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 08:40:17 AM »
Rich,

I am running PM4.4.3.3 on MacOS10.3.9. Frequently when I copy files via PhotoMechanic, as when I am makiung a folder of selected images, I find that some of the copied images do not show up on my desktop. When I then go to simply option-drag the file into the destination folder, I get a dialogue box which reads: "The item "XXXXXX" cannot be replaced because it is invisible." What's happening?

I honestly don't know.  PM doesn't make files invisible during a copy.  When you do the option-drag copy, the Finder is doing the copy, not Photo Mechanic.  We suspect it is a bug in the Finder.  The next time you copy files to your desktop with the Copy Photos... command on the File menu and you notice that not all of your files showed up, quit PM, log out and log back in.  If your files show up once you log back in then I suspect it is a bug in the Finder in Mac OS X 10.3.9.  We have verified this behavior on one of our 10.3.9 machines.  Logging out and back in makes the files visible to the Finder.

The Finder in 10.4.x does not have this problem.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 03:32:36 PM »
Kirk, I hate to say it but I have this problem all the time in OS 10.4.9 with PM 4.4.3.3, it happened on Tuesday actually. Copied two thumbnails to the desktop and only one was visible. I had to open the Desktop folder in a Finder window, move the "invisible" photo to a different folder and then move it back to the Desktop to make it show up.

I've long assumed that this is a problem with the OS.  On that note, is there a way to force a refresh/redraw of a current Finder window or the desktop?
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 04:30:58 PM »
Kevin,

Kirk, I hate to say it but I have this problem all the time in OS 10.4.9 with PM 4.4.3.3, it happened on Tuesday actually. Copied two thumbnails to the desktop and only one was visible. I had to open the Desktop folder in a Finder window, move the "invisible" photo to a different folder and then move it back to the Desktop to make it show up.

I've long assumed that this is a problem with the OS.  On that note, is there a way to force a refresh/redraw of a current Finder window or the desktop?

You could try this though I make no claims about its actual usefulness or that it might do "bad things."

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 09:29:35 PM »
Thanks Kirk. I guess I was hoping there was some secret trick or key combo like hitting F5 in Windows.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/