Author Topic: Open Folder and Subfolders  (Read 3109 times)

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
Open Folder and Subfolders
« on: September 06, 2020, 01:52:27 PM »
I'm seeing different behavior in the right-click menu of the navigator for two folders that reside at the same level that I can't figure out how to explain.

I am getting the "Open Folder and Subfolders..." options on some folders but not others (see attachments). Does anyone have a thought on why I'm not getting the option on all folders?

Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Open Folder and Subfolders
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 11:23:21 PM »
Kevin,

Somehow, the Navigator doesn't think that the folder you contextually clicked on has subfolders.  Visually, I can see that it does think that it has subfolders.  Does it make any difference on those particular folders if you expand them first?

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 11:19:33 AM »
Thanks Kirk. I was connected to that drive over the network (SMB). When I try now on the local computer hosting the drive it behaves as expected. I can test again over the network and see if it is reproducible later tonight.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 11:46:53 AM »
Kevin,

Thanks Kirk. I was connected to that drive over the network (SMB). When I try now on the local computer hosting the drive it behaves as expected. I can test again over the network and see if it is reproducible later tonight.

OK.  Can you check your Favorites/Navigator preferences (right click on any item in either the Favorites or Navigator and choose "Preferences...") setting labeled "Always check folders for sub-folders on servers" ?

If this is unchecked, then all folders will appear to have sub-folders until you actually try to expand them.  The Favorites/Navigator won't know if the folder has sub-folders (or not) and won't offer the "Open folder and subfolders" options until you actually attempt to expand them and the long process of getting the directory contents completes.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 11:49:44 AM »
That was it, thanks as always for your excellent support Kirk.

I rarely use the Navigator and had no idea there was a unique preference dialog there.