Author Topic: Import into Lightroom CC while keeping camera settings?  (Read 3816 times)

Offline lyrictenor1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Import into Lightroom CC while keeping camera settings?
« on: September 21, 2020, 05:03:19 PM »
Hi,

I'm new to PM, and was wondering if there was a setting where I can keep the in-camera settings when importing RAW files (NEF from a Nikon z6) from PM to LR CC. 

When importing straight to LR from my card, my default in LR CC is to honor the camera settings, which many times will include the color profile, some exposure changes (due to the use of Nikon's D-Lighting), as well as some noise reduction and sharpness built into the file upon import.

However, when using PM to cull and then import the files into LR CC, those in-camera settings are not being applied to my NEF files. Some of the settings in LR show a "ghost" setting on the slider, showing where the slider would be if the in-camera settings were honored, but I would have to manually move the slider to that point.

How does one keep the in-camera settings while culling in PM and importing into LR CC? I know I could always edit to the in-camera settings, but I actually use the in-camera settings as a good starting point, and having to manually apply those settings slows down the workflow.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Import into Lightroom CC while keeping camera settings?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 06:23:15 PM »
Are you modifying your RAW files during the ingest and culling process?  If so, are you using XMP sidecar files or are you having PM embed metadata in your RAW files?

-Kirk

Offline lyrictenor1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 10:43:19 PM »
Are you modifying your RAW files during the ingest and culling process?  If so, are you using XMP sidecar files or are you having PM embed metadata in your RAW files?

-Kirk

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have no idea. All I'm doing in PM is marking the selects. I don't intend to make any changes to the raw files during the culling process.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 08:49:31 AM »

-Kirk

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have no idea. All I'm doing in PM is marking the selects. I don't intend to make any changes to the raw files during the culling process.

Hmm.  What do you mean by "marking the selects"?  Are you setting a color label, 5-star rating, or the tag checkbox?  If so, then you're modifying the metadata and if you have Photo Mechanic set to embed metadata in your RAW files, then Photo Mechanic is going to modify your files directly which may be throwing Lightroom off.

Check the IPTC/XMP page of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog for your current settings.  Feel free to take a screen shot and post it here.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline lyrictenor1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 09:09:10 AM »

-Kirk

Hmm.  What do you mean by "marking the selects"?  Are you setting a color label, 5-star rating, or the tag checkbox?  If so, then you're modifying the metadata and if you have Photo Mechanic set to embed metadata in your RAW files, then Photo Mechanic is going to modify your files directly which may be throwing Lightroom off.

Check the IPTC/XMP page of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog for your current settings.  Feel free to take a screen shot and post it here.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

I'm checking the boxes for the selects. Attached is the screenshot of the preferences.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 10:52:17 AM »
OK, your settings are not set to embed metadata in your RAW (NEF) files.  I have no idea why Lr would behave differently.  Your NEFs should not be getting modified in any way.  As an experiment you could try deleting the XMP sidecar files (files with the same name as your NEFs but have the .XMP extension instead of .NEF) on a few images and see if Lr will pick up on the 'as shot' settings.

-Kirk

Offline lyrictenor1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 10:25:28 PM »
OK, your settings are not set to embed metadata in your RAW (NEF) files.  I have no idea why Lr would behave differently.  Your NEFs should not be getting modified in any way.  As an experiment you could try deleting the XMP sidecar files (files with the same name as your NEFs but have the .XMP extension instead of .NEF) on a few images and see if Lr will pick up on the 'as shot' settings.

-Kirk

I deleted the XMP files, and it worked correctly; LR CC honored the in-camera settings for my NEF files.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 10:36:26 PM »

I deleted the XMP files, and it worked correctly; LR CC honored the in-camera settings for my NEF files.

If you want to post one of your XMP sidecar files I'll take a look at it and see if anything odd stands out.  But I think this is a bug in Lightroom as it appears to be ignoring as shot settings if any metadata is present even if the metadata has nothing to do with those settings.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your XMP sidecar file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline lyrictenor1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 03:09:53 PM »
Sorry for the delay in replying. I've attached an XMP file.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 04:28:06 PM »
Sorry for the delay in replying. I've attached an XMP file.

Very minimal data and none that should cause any visual adjustments to occur.  I suggest bringing up the issue with Adobe.

-Kirk

Offline lyrictenor1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 12:21:33 PM »
Okay, thanks for taking the time to look at it.

For now, my workaround is: Ingest and cull in PM; Drag the selects into a folder labled "PM Shuttle"; delete XMP files before importing in LR.

I don't use colors for culling, etc; I can do the star ratings (do those get written to the NEF file, or the XMP?) in LR.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2020, 12:24:09 PM »
Okay, thanks for taking the time to look at it.

For now, my workaround is: Ingest and cull in PM; Drag the selects into a folder labled "PM Shuttle"; delete XMP files before importing in LR.

I don't use colors for culling, etc; I can do the star ratings (do those get written to the NEF file, or the XMP?) in LR.

Ratings get written to the XMP sidecar file.

-Kirk