Author Topic: Nikon RAW - previews of files edited in Capture 4.4.2  (Read 4844 times)

Offline bsparks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Nikon RAW - previews of files edited in Capture 4.4.2
« on: April 10, 2007, 12:32:31 PM »
Just upgraded to PM 4.5, and I use Nikon Capture 4.4.2, OS is Windows XP Pro.  When I first download the .NEF files from the camera, I can preview the files at full resolution in PM.  However, after I edit with Capture 4.4.2, I can only view a low-resolution preview in PM with about half the resolution of the original file.  I have Capture set to save large previews, but they still are not the full resolution of the original .NEF file.  Is there a way to set PM so that I can view the edited files at full-resolution?  ???

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
Re: Nikon RAW - previews of files edited in Capture 4.4.2
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 12:42:16 PM »
That's a "feature" of Nikon Capture 4.  It takes the nice full-size previews in the as-shot files and replaces them with smaller 1600 pixel versions, even when set to "large" previews.  There is nothing that PM 4.5 or any earlier version of PM can do about it.  (For what it's worth, Capture NX embeds full-size previews.)

Mike

Offline bsparks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 01:30:17 PM »
Well, that is in the plan.  In fact, I went to buy it last week, but the camera store was out of stock.  I'll probably order it on line.  But how do I go back and regenerate the previews after I get NX?  We're talking tens of thousands of images.  ??? :o

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 02:51:54 PM »
Well, that is in the plan.  In fact, I went to buy it last week, but the camera store was out of stock.  I'll probably order it on line.  But how do I go back and regenerate the previews after I get NX?  We're talking tens of thousands of images.  ??? :o

There is another Nikon tool called NPrevCreator3 that you can use to create larger previews.  It operates on a batch of NEFs.

It comes with Capture, I believe.

HTH,

-Kirk

G-Force

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 05:33:24 PM »
You can use the batch tool to save the nefs with the the current settings. You can set it to process images in subfolders to so you don't have to select every folder with images. Capture NX will save new NEF files with the full size previews embedded.

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 11:27:47 PM »
There is another Nikon tool called NPrevCreator3 that you can use to create larger previews.

Unfortunately, the largest previews you can get with this tool are the 1600 pixel previews, I believe.  Running a batch with NX would seem to be the only way.... but I would be very wary about doing this just at the moment because there is a bug in NX that creates unwated white lines in your output images (including embedded previews) in certain circumstances.  IIRC, it happens on an image *after* one where you've used D-lighting in the base adjustments (i.e. any D-lighting made with Capture 4).  I'm tempted myself to run a batch to replace all my smaller previews with full-size ones, but I'm going to wait a little while to let NX fully stabilise.

Mike

Offline bsparks

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 10:13:41 AM »
Thanks for all the ideas.  I think I'll try the batch process, but I'll wait until NX sabilizes as suggested earlier.