Author Topic: What does Photo Mechanic Plus add to plain ol’ PM6? Is it worth it?  (Read 5513 times)

Offline MikeSeb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I posted on this topic elsewhere, and it was suggested I do so here instead. I’m trying to figure out if PM Plus makes sense for my use case. What does PM Plus’s cataloging capability add for you guys here that isn’t already done by PM6, or by Lightroom’s or Capture One’s cataloging features?

A word about my workflow. I ingest both native-digital and scanned-film images using PM6, because I’ve found its metadata-writing features to be superior to alternatives. Once I’ve got the images into the correct folder, I add them to my Lightroom and Capture One catalogs. I use both programs because I’ve found each one better for certain types of images than the other; for instance, C1 doesn’t allow editing of scanned monochrome TIF’s, but I think does a better job on Leica M10 and M10 Monochrom files.

I probably don’t get as much out of PM6 as I could, since I’m probably not the type photographer it was designed for. Just wondering if the upgrade price makes sense for me.

Thoughts appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 06:48:34 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: What does Photo Mechanic Plus add to plain ol’ PM6? Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 07:45:26 PM »
There is a similar discussion here that you can read: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13594.0

Offline Odd Skjaeveland

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 05:12:14 AM »
What does PM Plus’s cataloging capability add for you guys here that isn’t already done by PM6, or by Lightroom’s or Capture One’s cataloging features?

I have used Capture One since the days when there were no such thing as Capture One catalog. An I have used Lightroom and other catalog ware. I learned that if I were to go the catalog software route ("DAM"), the catalog software should *not* be an integral part of my image processing tools. I want a separate self contained independent catalog tool. That or nothing. I value the freedom and accept minor software cooperation issues. The PM and C1 combo takes some time getting used to.   

More than anything, I want a metadata power tool. Photo Mechanic is one of the kind. Capture One is not, IMNSHO. Capture One is a fine raw developer and that is what I use it for. Session mode, not catalog mode.

Back in the day I read a post/article/document authored by Jason Odell where he mentioned Photo Mechanic as an alternative to Nikon View NX. I navigated to the forum site and lurked here for at least a year before I finally decided to switch to PM. The main trigger was actually not the software itself, the support forum was. There was and still is a real support forum. People get authoritative answers to all kinds of questions. The support is best in class.

I will not comment on PM+ itself because PM user Carl Seibert already did https://www.carlseibert.com/photo-mechanic-plus-released/
--
Odd S.

Offline Piermario

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 01:46:40 PM »
I have been using Photo mechanic + for just over 3 weeks in conjunction with Capture one 21 and I have to say that although the first approach to PM is slightly uphill, its metadata cataloging capabilities are exactly what I was looking for. Fundamentally I wanted to untie the archive and development of Raw in this sense I find the two soft complementary and now that I begin to better understand the workflow I find that the choice I made is the one that gives the best result for me. pictures are not a professional.