Author Topic: Smugmug and metadata  (Read 1555 times)

Offline DaveG

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Smugmug and metadata
« on: October 05, 2020, 08:12:28 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a Photo Mechanic concern or a Smugmug problem, but here goes.

I use PM to upload images and use code replacements to help caption images.  I recently did a corporate portrait session of six executives and I uploaded proofs to SmugMug, so the client could make choices.  The client then needs to tell me the file names of those choices.  Instead of showing the file name in SM, what appeared was quite obviously PM code replacement code.  I messed around with it in SM for awhile and didn't get anywhere.  Finally I deleted the images from that SM gallery, made a duplicate folder of those images in Bridge, brought those back into PM and used the "Delete Metadata" tool to clean everything up.  Then when I uploaded those files to SM all was well. 

Has anyone run into that problem before?  Is there another solution?  It's kind of a dog's dinner to have to go to this work around. As I say this might be all on SmugMug not Photo Mechanic.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Smugmug and metadata
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 10:44:57 PM »
Dave,

I'm not sure if this is a Photo Mechanic concern or a Smugmug problem, but here goes.

I use PM to upload images and use code replacements to help caption images.  I recently did a corporate portrait session of six executives and I uploaded proofs to SmugMug, so the client could make choices.  The client then needs to tell me the file names of those choices.  Instead of showing the file name in SM, what appeared was quite obviously PM code replacement code.  I messed around with it in SM for awhile and didn't get anywhere.  Finally I deleted the images from that SM gallery, made a duplicate folder of those images in Bridge, brought those back into PM and used the "Delete Metadata" tool to clean everything up.  Then when I uploaded those files to SM all was well. 

Has anyone run into that problem before?  Is there another solution?  It's kind of a dog's dinner to have to go to this work around. As I say this might be all on SmugMug not Photo Mechanic.

If you can get an image in that state and post it here, I'd be happy to take a peek at its metadata and see if it contained any un-evaluated code replacement stuff.

-Kirk