Author Topic: Photo Mechanic Plus filtering and searching  (Read 3532 times)

Offline bodelange

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic Plus filtering and searching
« on: October 08, 2020, 12:35:27 PM »
I've been playing around with PM 6 Plus and am really considering upgrading to it, for its cataloging capabilities. However, am I missing something, or is it not possible to search and/or filter catalogs based on shutterspeed? Is is missing in the list of searchable fields and does not show up in the Filter items under EXIF either.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic Plus filtering and searching
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 01:27:57 PM »
I've been playing around with PM 6 Plus and am really considering upgrading to it, for its cataloging capabilities. However, am I missing something, or is it not possible to search and/or filter catalogs based on shutterspeed? Is is missing in the list of searchable fields and does not show up in the Filter items under EXIF either.

There currently is no searching or filtering on shutter speed.  It could be added.  Can you tell me how that would be useful to you?

-Kirk

Offline bodelange

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 01:49:15 PM »
In the same way as searching using aperture or ISO: finding images in my catalogue that are either ‘frozen’ e.g. shutter speed <1/500s or long exposures: shutter speeds > 1/2 s.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »
In the same way as searching using aperture or ISO: finding images in my catalogue that are either ‘frozen’ e.g. shutter speed <1/500s or long exposures: shutter speeds > 1/2 s.

OK, thanks.

-Kirk

Offline sebastianbremen

• Newcomer
  • Let's be nice to nature!
    • View Profile
    • Sebastian Burger Photography and Projects
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 11:11:52 AM »
Thinking that it was possible to browser/search/filter for *just any* iptc field I started to use many of them. Now I realize that quite some are not in use yet: edit status, category and many more. To anticipate Kirk's question: Well I used those fields in order to give (myself) information about edit status, Categories and so on....is there any iptc field that isn't worth to be taken at least into the search possibility? For the sake of clear arrangments I see the point that you don't want to have all iptc field in the browse and filter menus...

Sebastian
Working since 2012 on https://www.mut-tour.de: As Initiator and "art director" I deal a lot with my and other photographers images and am happy to leave fuggin' Adobe's subscription trap. Hoping camera bits guys keep on programming.

Offline rjh1007

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 12:31:53 AM »
Kirk
In my workflow some of the first things I check for after exposure and composition is noise, critical sharpness, bokeh - I can quickly analyze large groups of photos if I could filter and browse on ISO, shutter speed and aperture at a minimum. Focal length, white balance, exposure comp, flash are really important but are not make it or break it for me.  I bought the software because I needed a reliable catalog to replace my slow Capture One catalog - I am really disappointed that this basic exif that I need daily in filtering and browsing my shoots and existing images isn't available.  I unfortunately was paying attention to getting my images and their data into PM+ and didn't look closely at what was available for my workflow as I assumed that the ability to filter, browse and search on most exif data was a given. 

Kirk, is there any way that you can make ISO, shutter speed, aperture, focal length, white balance available for filtering and browsing? Please.

I have imported over 10,000 of my images into PM+ but will hold on the other 100,000+ until I know if the exif will be made available.

Thanks for your consideration

Bob

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 12:52:42 PM »
Bob,

Please see this post for where to make feature requests: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13555.0

-Kirk