Author Topic: Render Cache  (Read 3807 times)

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
Render Cache
« on: October 09, 2020, 03:14:09 AM »
In Preferences there's a new panel "Render Cache". Maybe not new but I only discovered it after using the PM6+ trial. However it's also available in PM6.

I'd like to have PM render files to show changes made in Lightroom. I've done this in PM before using the Adobe DNG Convertor. I gave up on that as it can only launch, convert a single file then quit before relaunching and starting over. Also it uses up a lot of process power.

But now there's an option to use a PM built-in renderer. I want to give that a go. But I cant.

When I tick (check) the Enable RAW Rendering box I get a pop up telling me to choose the installed Adobe DNG renderer. I can't select the Built-in Renderer. (And, interestingly, the Enable RAW Rendering box is not ticked / checked).

This doesn't work, or I don't know how to make the Built-in Renderer work?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Render Cache
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 08:35:33 AM »
David,

In Preferences there's a new panel "Render Cache". Maybe not new but I only discovered it after using the PM6+ trial. However it's also available in PM6.

I'd like to have PM render files to show changes made in Lightroom. I've done this in PM before using the Adobe DNG Convertor. I gave up on that as it can only launch, convert a single file then quit before relaunching and starting over. Also it uses up a lot of process power.

But now there's an option to use a PM built-in renderer. I want to give that a go. But I cant.

When I tick (check) the Enable RAW Rendering box I get a pop up telling me to choose the installed Adobe DNG renderer. I can't select the Built-in Renderer. (And, interestingly, the Enable RAW Rendering box is not ticked / checked).

This doesn't work, or I don't know how to make the Built-in Renderer work?

It's currently disabled because it isn't finished and we don't have the engineering resources to finish it up and get it to our standards.

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 09:05:23 AM »
It's currently disabled because it isn't finished and we don't have the engineering resources to finish it up and get it to our standards.

Thanks Kirk. Not a big problem for me but I'd like to see your version one day. Meanwhile maybe stick a note in the Preferences saying "coming soon" rather than "you may choose"?!

Thanks again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 09:26:23 AM »
David,

Thanks Kirk. Not a big problem for me but I'd like to see your version one day. Meanwhile maybe stick a note in the Preferences saying "coming soon" rather than "you may choose"?!

Sure.  One thing I can tell you is when we're satisfied with our renderer, it won't render like the Adobe DNG Converter (or Lightroom) does.  We won't be able to duplicate their output.  So if you still really need the same color you'll have to use the Adobe DNG Converter as your renderer.

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 02:54:20 AM »
One thing I can tell you is when we're satisfied with our renderer, it won't render like the Adobe DNG Converter (or Lightroom) does.  We won't be able to duplicate their output.  So if you still really need the same color you'll have to use the Adobe DNG Converter as your renderer.

Can you share some more of your plans Kirk? At the moment PM uses the camera created JPEG within a raw file - as far as I understand. Is your new render going to go beyond that? I could live without 100% colour accuracy,  I'm assuming you'll be able to 'see' some changes made by ACR. Or if that's wrong why do you feel the need to build a renderer?

Last week I shot some night cityscapes. I've had to use Lightroom to open up the shadows a fair bit. I'd like to see that reflected in PM and PM+. Will I be able to use the built-in renderer or have to resort to Adobe's?

Thanks again.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 06:24:58 AM »
David,

One thing I can tell you is when we're satisfied with our renderer, it won't render like the Adobe DNG Converter (or Lightroom) does.  We won't be able to duplicate their output.  So if you still really need the same color you'll have to use the Adobe DNG Converter as your renderer.

Can you share some more of your plans Kirk? At the moment PM uses the camera created JPEG within a raw file - as far as I understand. Is your new render going to go beyond that? I could live without 100% colour accuracy,  I'm assuming you'll be able to 'see' some changes made by ACR. Or if that's wrong why do you feel the need to build a renderer?

You would not see any adjustments you made in Adobe products.  For us to generate an accurate rendering of ACR settings, we would have to reverse engineer their proprietary rendering system.  That's not going to happen.

The reason for creating a built-in rendering system is to support RAW files that either contain a preview that is too small (some cameras only embed a thumbnail) or contains no preview at all.

Last week I shot some night cityscapes. I've had to use Lightroom to open up the shadows a fair bit. I'd like to see that reflected in PM and PM+. Will I be able to use the built-in renderer or have to resort to Adobe's?

The built-in rendering system would not show Lr or ACR adjustments.

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 03:42:26 AM »

No change for me then. I haven't found it to be an issue so I'm not too bothered. If I was really bothered I guess I could convert my raw files, be they CR2, NEF, ORF or RAF, into DNG format. I _think_ PM will then show me a version as corrected by LR or ACR as the JPEG in the DNG is updated to reflect the changes and PM is in turn using that JPEG for display.

Thanks again Kirk.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 09:01:03 AM »
David,

If I was really bothered I guess I could convert my raw files, be they CR2, NEF, ORF or RAF, into DNG format. I _think_ PM will then show me a version as corrected by LR or ACR as the JPEG in the DNG is updated to reflect the changes and PM is in turn using that JPEG for display.

Yes, that's correct.

-Kirk

Offline davidgordon

• View Profile
    • davidgordon.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 05:40:05 AM »
The reason for creating a built-in rendering system is to support RAW files that either contain a preview that is too small (some cameras only embed a thumbnail) or contains no preview at all.

Having said the forthcoming PM render is of no interest, maybe it is. Raw files with no or too small a preview might include RAF format? Out of interest is there a list of raw formats stating which have full size previews and which don't?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 07:26:36 AM »
David,

Having said the forthcoming PM render is of no interest, maybe it is. Raw files with no or too small a preview might include RAF format? Out of interest is there a list of raw formats stating which have full size previews and which don't?

We haven't made a formal list.  Yes, I believe that RAF files for the most part, include fairly low-resolution previews.

-Kirk