Author Topic: Restart indexing on 2nd computer  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
Restart indexing on 2nd computer
« on: October 10, 2020, 08:40:20 AM »
Couldn't find this precise setup described and wanted to check before interrupting a process already underway.
My library is stored on a NAS. So is the PM+ database folder.
Using a computer connected to that NAS I started the process of rebuilding the index following the full version release. It's not the fastest computer in the world and time is dragging. If I interrupt the process on that computer and, using a different, faster computer connected to the same NAS, restart the process, will it pick up where the first left off without damaging the index or will it be a case of starting from the beginning?
I'm currently 2 days in and it's projecting another 5 days.
Thanks
Joel.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Restart indexing on 2nd computer
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 02:55:16 PM »
Joel,

Couldn't find this precise setup described and wanted to check before interrupting a process already underway.
My library is stored on a NAS. So is the PM+ database folder.
Using a computer connected to that NAS I started the process of rebuilding the index following the full version release. It's not the fastest computer in the world and time is dragging. If I interrupt the process on that computer and, using a different, faster computer connected to the same NAS, restart the process, will it pick up where the first left off without damaging the index or will it be a case of starting from the beginning?

I wouldn't recommend doing that.  Your faster computer will still be limited by the slow speed of your NAS.  Far better would be to keep your images on the NAS but have your catalogs stored on a local fast disk (SSD) instead.  The time to build your catalog would be much shorter.  Also, if you are always going to be able to have your images available to you (your NAS will always be accessible) then you can turn of Proxy generation and the build time should decrease significantly.

-Kirk

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 03:47:34 PM »
Hi Joel,

If I interrupt the process on that computer and, using a different, faster computer connected to the same NAS, restart the process, will it pick up where the first left off without damaging the index or will it be a case of starting from the beginning?

Adding to what Kirk wrote: if interrupted, the re-index procedure would need to restart from the beginning.

However, if you were to relocate your Catalog database folder to a fast local disk, we'd expect the re-index to complete in hours (at most) rather than days.

A word of caution, however: The re-index task may be somewhat tenacious. So if you quit PM while a re-index is ongoing, you may also need to manually force quit any lingering "pm-task" processes via the OS Activity Monitor (Mac) or Task Manager (Windows.)

Only after quitting PM and ensuring no lingering "pm-task" processes remain, would it then be safe to relocate your Catalog database folder to a local disk. Having done so, you'd then use the "Locate Existing Catalog" button in the "Catalog Management" window to reacquaint PM with the catalog in its new location.

Regards,

Bill

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 10:58:16 AM »
Thanks to you both. I want to keep the index on the NAS with the photos, even with the hit on speed, but appreciate the explanation.
Is it correct to conclude that, if I ran the index process locally and then moved the folder with the index to the NAS and reaquinted PM+ with the new location, that'd be fine?

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 03:41:58 PM »
Is it correct to conclude that, if I ran the index process locally and then moved the folder with the index to the NAS and reaquinted PM+ with the new location, that'd be fine?

Yes, that sequence of steps is expected to achieve the desired result.

-Bill

Offline KeithRJ

• View Profile
    • Keith & Vlasta Ross-Jones
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 03:47:07 PM »
In the Catalog Status section you can stop background processes. Do this before closing PM+ then move catalogs etc.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 07:31:51 PM by KeithRJ »

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
  • Photo Mechanic daily user since 2001
    • View Profile
    • Simon Wheeler Photography
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2020, 08:08:42 AM »
I have a related question. I built my catalog on one computer and stored it on the hard drive of that computer. The original images are on an external drive. I updated to the full release of PM Plus. I moved the catalog to a new location on the original computer. I was able to reconnect it to the images. All fine. Then I copied the catalog to a second computer where PM Plus is also installed. I connected the external drive with the original images to the second computer but PM Plus doesn't think the images are "locally available". What am I missing here?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2020, 12:08:30 PM »
I have a related question. I built my catalog on one computer and stored it on the hard drive of that computer. The original images are on an external drive. I updated to the full release of PM Plus. I moved the catalog to a new location on the original computer. I was able to reconnect it to the images. All fine. Then I copied the catalog to a second computer where PM Plus is also installed. I connected the external drive with the original images to the second computer but PM Plus doesn't think the images are "locally available". What am I missing here?

Catalogs are not entirely portable.  There is some other information that maps folder IDs to real paths that isn't part of the catalog but is stored on a per-machine basis in a different location than your catalogs.  If you want to copy a catalog to another system like you did, you'll have to use the "Reintegrate Forgotten Catalog" button in the maintenance section of the catalog in the Catalog Management window.  This will cause it to build the folder mapping on your new system for that catalog.  The images should then be considered locally available.

-Kirk

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
  • Photo Mechanic daily user since 2001
    • View Profile
    • Simon Wheeler Photography
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2020, 03:36:44 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thank you. That worked perfectly. It was a little hard to find the Maintenance menu. For anyone else, spin the black triangle next to the name of the catalog, and then spin the triangle next to Maintenance. This give options for Optimization, Reintegration and Re-indexing. I had not needed those functions prior to today.

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 08:52:27 AM »
Perfect. Thanks to you both

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 10:07:37 PM »
Thanks, very useful for me.
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator