Author Topic: Image previews missing  (Read 38191 times)

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
Re: Image previews missing
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2020, 12:50:50 PM »
It is now about 3 weeks and I am unable to get a complete catalog of all my images built against my NAS.  Mac OSX loses connection to the NAS mount (I have tried a whole bunch of things and the longest I have been able to keep the mount is 2 days) and when that happens, PM Plus quickly goes through the catalog and is done before I notice.

If I reach that stage, I have to restart and that is a 8 day process.  I have not gone past day 2.  I am now trying to build the catalog one folder at a time and the size of the folder is going down each attempt.

Is there a better way to do this?

What can I do to make PM+ work against an unreliable slow NAS mount? That is my primary usecase of PM+.  I need a local cache of previews of images on the NAS that I can search and narrow down.  How can I get a full reindex against my NAS working?  I can wait the 7 - 10 days the first time, but it should be fault tolerant.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2020, 02:00:05 PM »
It is now about 3 weeks and I am unable to get a complete catalog of all my images built against my NAS.  Mac OSX loses connection to the NAS mount (I have tried a whole bunch of things and the longest I have been able to keep the mount is 2 days) and when that happens, PM Plus quickly goes through the catalog and is done before I notice.

If I reach that stage, I have to restart and that is a 8 day process.  I have not gone past day 2.  I am now trying to build the catalog one folder at a time and the size of the folder is going down each attempt.

What can I do to make PM+ work against an unreliable slow NAS mount? That is my primary usecase of PM+.  I need a local cache of previews of images on the NAS that I can search and narrow down.  How can I get a full reindex against my NAS working?  I can wait the 7 - 10 days the first time, but it should be fault tolerant.

Wow, what brand of NAS are you using?  Mine (QNAP and Synology) stay up for ages.

-Kirk

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2020, 02:04:39 PM »
Netgear ReadyNAS, I don't think it is the NAS's fault.  It was stable on my Windows machine.

It seems to be an issue with Catalina.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250827883

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/dwr5t7/nas_keeps_unmounting_on_catalina/

I have tried just about everything suggested (auto mounter app, new NVRAM setting), but day 3, it disconnects.  Once it disconnects, I have no option other than to restart.

Wow, what brand of NAS are you using?  Mine (QNAP and Synology) stay up for ages.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2020, 02:18:42 PM »
We agree that fault tolerance could be improved.  In the meantime, please try using the Catalog Sync feature (Catalog->Sync Catalogs...) in "Quick" sync mode.  If the NAS spontaneously drops during the sync, running the sync again will pick up where it left off.

-Kirk

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2020, 02:22:25 PM »
We agree that fault tolerance could be improved.  In the meantime, please try using the Catalog Sync feature (Catalog->Sync Catalogs...) in "Quick" sync mode.  If the NAS spontaneously drops during the sync, running the sync again will pick up where it left off.

-Kirk

Got it, I will try the Catalog Quick Sync mode.

Offline schs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2020, 11:48:39 AM »
I tried twice to create a catalog with images from my external drive (not NAS) and the preview images are not generated. When I unplug the USB drive there are no previews visible. In the catalog I selected the checkbox "Generate preview...". In fact the task for catalog image preview generation indicates a number of batches remaining (it's about a tenth of the image count on my external drive). So it seems that the task for preview generation is not running at all.

OS is MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19H2), PM+ build is 5215 (abbcb1f).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2020, 11:52:24 AM »
I tried twice to create a catalog with images from my external drive (not NAS) and the preview images are not generated. When I unplug the USB drive there are no previews visible. In the catalog I selected the checkbox "Generate preview...". In fact the task for catalog image preview generation indicates a number of batches remaining (it's about a tenth of the image count on my external drive). So it seems that the task for preview generation is not running at all.

OS is MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19H2), PM+ build is 5215 (abbcb1f).

Do you have the drive with the images back online?  If it's not available then the previews cannot be generated.

-Kirk

Offline schs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2020, 11:59:41 AM »
I started a new scan to catalog two hours ago (about 90'000 images, it will take a while :)
Yes, I had the drive connected and the task indicated the number of batches remaining. Now while the scan to catalog runs the number of batches simply increases (+1 batch for about 10 images processed). Because of this behaviour I thought that there seems to be a problem that the image preview generation is doing nothing while the catalog metadata gathering taks is running. The other task "catalog metadata updates" is mostly idle and occasionally updating (only visible for a fraction of a second).

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2020, 01:12:21 PM »
I started a new scan to catalog two hours ago (about 90'000 images, it will take a while :)
Yes, I had the drive connected and the task indicated the number of batches remaining. Now while the scan to catalog runs the number of batches simply increases (+1 batch for about 10 images processed). Because of this behaviour I thought that there seems to be a problem that the image preview generation is doing nothing while the catalog metadata gathering taks is running. The other task "catalog metadata updates" is mostly idle and occasionally updating (only visible for a fraction of a second).

Where is the catalog stored?  What kind of disk and how is it connected to your system?

-Kirk

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2020, 02:25:14 PM »

Where is the catalog stored?  What kind of disk and how is it connected to your system?

-Kirk

The catalog is stored on my primary and only 500GB SSD.

Offline schs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2020, 09:59:10 PM »

Kirk

The Catalog is on my local drive (iMac, internal SSD).

I had the scan to catalog running the last few hours. Now the catalog image preview generation task shows 8678 batches. I quit and started PM+ to see if this starts the tasks. Now it says catalog metadata gathering "Preparing..." and the image preview generation remains at 8678.

Offline schs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2020, 10:03:00 PM »
Here the screenshot of the tasks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2020, 10:09:07 PM »
I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline schs

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2020, 10:19:19 PM »
Seems the file is too big. I sent you a private message.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2020, 10:35:41 PM »
Seems the file is too big. I sent you a private message.

Thanks.  I got the log, unfortunately nothing much useful in it.

Could you please try this build? https://www.camerabits.com/download/PhotoMechanicPlusR5251_bf557ff7.dmg

Could you also turn on Catalog debug logging and post the log, please?  From the Help menu, choose "Edit Debug Settings..." and find the item titled CATALOG_DEBUG_LOGGING and set its checkbox.  Then click the Close button.  Then restart Photo Mechanic Plus and reproduce the problem.  From the Help menu choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk