Author Topic: Image previews missing  (Read 37856 times)

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
Image previews missing
« on: October 11, 2020, 08:37:43 PM »
I setup a catalog with PhotoMechanic Plus and the catalog is built.  However, in the browse tab, if I browse via lens or rating, I see a resulting page, but none of the thumbnails are seen.  If I go back to Navigator and navigate through the folder structure, I see the thumbnails.

What is going on?  How can I force the catalog to pre-build all the previews up front?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Image previews missing
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 07:28:12 AM »
I setup a catalog with PhotoMechanic Plus and the catalog is built.  However, in the browse tab, if I browse via lens or rating, I see a resulting page, but none of the thumbnails are seen.  If I go back to Navigator and navigate through the folder structure, I see the thumbnails.

What is going on?  How can I force the catalog to pre-build all the previews up front?

Did the path to the images change?  Did you turn off proxy generation for your catalog?

-Kirk

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 09:21:29 AM »
The path to the images did not change.  The images live in a NAS though.  The mount point is still the same.  I did not explicitly turn off proxy generation.  How do I check?

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 10:59:41 AM »
The path to the images did not change.  The images live in a NAS though.  The mount point is still the same.  I did not explicitly turn off proxy generation.  How do I check?

In the Local Catalogs section of the Catalog Management window, each catalog has a checkbox controlling proxy generation. (Revealed by clicking the triangle next to the catalog name.)

However, it seems something stranger is occurring. Because if you're able to see the files via the Navigator, and if the mount point hasn't changed, then PM would not even normally use the proxies in a situation where it can just access the original files directly.

It may help to see your Photo Mechanic log. To upload it here: In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected. Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

Bill

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 01:01:43 PM »
Bill

I have attached the logs.

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 01:07:00 PM »
When I navigate to that folder in navigator, this is what I see.  These NEFs are in the NAS.  It took a while to generate the thumbnails, but it does.  Note that here too, a few images are missing previews.

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 01:08:48 PM »
One thing to note is the NAS is unmounted and mounted on reboots and what not.  Does that count as path being changed?  My primary use case is I have a set of images on my NAS and others on my local SSDs.  I need a unified way to search these images and if I need to edit something from the NAS, I can then copy it over to my localhost and edit them here.

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 01:12:30 PM »
Here is the catalog management window.

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 01:13:23 PM »
I have one question though.  Are all the previews cached locally?  With the NAS situation, generating the previews just in time is too slow :(. If there is a way to regenerate all the previews, that is what I need.

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 02:17:15 PM »
I have attached the logs.

Thanks.

I'm seeing tons of errors logged on October 9th where PM was unable to access files on "/Volumes/Pictures/…" while attempting to build the catalog and generate proxies.

It has the appearance of the NAS possibly having become unmounted while PM was working with it. ("path not found" errors and the like.)

I have one question though.  Are all the previews cached locally?  With the NAS situation, generating the previews just in time is too slow :(. If there is a way to regenerate all the previews, that is what I need.

The preview proxies are cached within the catalog folder. However, currently PM will only use them when the original image location is offline. So even if your NAS is slow, PM would still prefer that original location if available. (Perhaps a future version of PM could prefer the local proxies if the original images are on a slow volume.)

In any case, because of the errors that occurred on "/Volumes/Pictures/…" while building the catalog, I think your best bet would be to try again using "Scan to Catalog" and re-Scan the paths from that drive that you want to include in the catalog.

Regards,

Bill

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 03:00:51 PM »
Thanks Bill.  Makes sense.

I restarted "scan to catalog".  I hope just running it is sufficient without clearing existing information.

Yes, I would appreciate if you can provide a way to always prefer local proxies since original images will be on a slow volume.  If there is a formal process for me a raise a new feature request, please let me know and I will raise it.

Thanks for your help.  I will keep you posted when the catalog is rebuilt.

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 03:01:56 PM »
Also it would be nice, if there was a log that I can see that showed me what happened instead of me bothering you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 03:55:51 PM »
Yes, I would appreciate if you can provide a way to always prefer local proxies since original images will be on a slow volume.  If there is a formal process for me a raise a new feature request, please let me know and I will raise it.

See: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13555.0

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 04:14:22 PM »
Also it would be nice, if there was a log that I can see that showed me what happened instead of me bothering you.

We'll begin routing these types of errors to the Catalog Status window (and will ponder a way to indicate that attention is needed without interrupting your workflow.)

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 11:37:11 AM »
Thank you.