Author Topic: Catalog of edited images – previews slooooow  (Read 2628 times)

Offline macz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Catalog of edited images – previews slooooow
« on: November 03, 2020, 02:11:58 PM »
Hi
I am trying to create a catalog of edited images (TIFF, PSD). Importing worked well but previews take ages to build up. Once they are there, they are gone after strolling through other directories. I have expanded the cache and deactivated cache cleaning. Why do you not write previews of a certain size in order to be there whether online or offline (like Media Pro did). Once they are built, they are available.
Thanks, Markus

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Catalog of edited images – previews slooooow
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 02:37:12 PM »
Markus,

I am trying to create a catalog of edited images (TIFF, PSD). Importing worked well but previews take ages to build up. Once they are there, they are gone after strolling through other directories. I have expanded the cache and deactivated cache cleaning. Why do you not write previews of a certain size in order to be there whether online or offline (like Media Pro did). Once they are built, they are available.

I'm confused by your statements.  You say the previews take ages to build up.  Then you say that they're gone after scrolling through them.  Then you say that once they are built, they are available.

If you're browsing the results of catalog searches and the source images are available (the media is still connected) then Photo Mechanic Plus is going to access them and show you the actual images.  TIFF and PSD images are indeed slow to load especially if they are located on slow media because they have poor compression.  The previews that the Catalog generates are only used when the disks that the images came from are not currently present.

-Kirk

Offline macz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 08:16:44 AM »
Thanks Kirk

I see - you show the actual image. This is nice but in my case not effective with a database for edited images. I would suggest the option that you can select using "offline previews" for large images (maybe use a size limit) even if they are currently available. These images can be 2 GB or more - harddrives are not the slowest – and I need a solution for finding them.

-Markus

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 09:13:39 AM »
Markus,

I see - you show the actual image. This is nice but in my case not effective with a database for edited images. I would suggest the option that you can select using "offline previews" for large images (maybe use a size limit) even if they are currently available. These images can be 2 GB or more - harddrives are not the slowest – and I need a solution for finding them.

Please post a feature request here: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/discussions/forums/48000071283

-Kirk

Offline macz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 09:40:37 AM »
I would not mind but your captacha verification does not accept my contribution:

Do you mind posting it for me? - statement here:

PMPlus: Static previews for edited images database

I really like that you work and make progress on PMPlus - I have already purchased it it even when I am not being able to use it the way it works right now.. ;)

I was looking for a replacement of my MediaPro database of edited images. These images vary between 500 MB and at least 2 GB (PSD and TIFFs). If I scan these images into a PM Plus catalog. They take a very long time to be ingested, which is normal. However I expect to be able to use them afterwards without further delay. However, as I have learned, they will be read again and again every time the catalog is opened and the cache is cleaned (?). Only images which are not accessible should be replaced/visible by a static preview.

My feature request is now that you provide the option for creating static previews of 1440–2560 pixels wide (optional) to be stored within/aside the catalog for online and offline images. The users should be able to choose between static and dynamic "previews". Thanks for bringing this to life as soon as possible!

Markus

Offline Marziah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 10:52:37 AM »
Hi. Markus. I've posted your request here: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/discussions/topics/48000561051 

I also turned off CAPTCHA for now until the issue is resolved.