Author Topic: Find and select missing images in catalogue  (Read 5080 times)

Offline patanegra

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Find and select missing images in catalogue
« on: October 12, 2020, 11:01:41 AM »
Hi,

maybe I am missing something, but I can't find a way to find and select missing images in the catalogue. Usually I go through my images in Capture One and delete the no-keeper images. In a catalogue previously indexed by PM+ I can see those images afterwards with a red label and no preview but I can't find an automated way to select an remove them from the PM+ catalogue. C1 or LR have this functionality.

Thanks on congrats on PM+.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 02:36:34 PM by patanegra »

Offline a_mumford

• View Profile
Re: Find and select missing images in catalogue
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 01:35:41 PM »
So did iView / Media Pro - definitely needed IMO.

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 10:31:56 PM »
Hello

I was able to get the list of missing images with the CATALOGUE SYNC command.
Luckily they were all in the same folder; with the choice of the path I was able to remove them all.
More difficult if they had been scattered
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline patanegra

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 11:18:46 PM »
Hi,

could you explain how? After "catalogue sync" they get displayed as missing with a red text label but how where you able to select them? Of course I could select one by one manually, but there should be an easier way. A filter setting for example?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2020, 10:11:09 AM »
could you explain how? After "catalogue sync" they get displayed as missing with a red text label but how where you able to select them? Of course I could select one by one manually, but there should be an easier way. A filter setting for example?

She made note of the common folder containing the missing images and then opened that folder, selected all, and removed them.

To be clear, what you're wanting is a feature where given a set of images in a Contact Sheet tab (whether it be a folder-based tab or a catalog-based tab) you want to find the images that are missing and mark them as selected, correct?

-Kirk

Offline patanegra

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 10:48:05 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Yes, that's correct. That would be great. Which way, filters, etc, doesn't matter much. Often I see myself revisiting projects in Capture One and delete the no keepers, long time after a job has been finished. I do the same with the JPGs after some time when shooting RAW+JPG. This keeps my disk space a bit lower.

Thanks!

Offline patanegra

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 01:56:57 PM »
Hi Kirk,
will the "resynchronize the proxy folder with what's currently in the catalog" feature of the next built, as described in the thread below, allow to do what I am pretending. Remove the missing pictures from the catalogue.
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13647.0

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 02:27:16 PM »
will the "resynchronize the proxy folder with what's currently in the catalog" feature of the next built, as described in the thread below, allow to do what I am pretending. Remove the missing pictures from the catalogue.

No, that is regarding the proxy images (the images that are used when your photos are not currently available).

I have added a separate command on the Edit menu (Edit->Select Missing) that will go through the images in the current contact sheet and select only the images that are currently unavailable.  It's up to you to decide what to do with each one.  If they're really never going to be available (you've deleted them) then you can use the "Remove from Catalog" command on the Catalog menu.  If they're just missing because you don't have drive connected then you'll usually want to leave them alone.

The build that has the "Select Missing" command is available here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13663.0

-Kirk

Offline patanegra

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 04:47:17 AM »
Thank you for implementing this so fast in the upcoming release. I just tested it and it does the trick.

Offline Graham1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2021, 01:47:56 PM »
The Catalog Sync command does indeed identify that there are missing files (in my case, 74 out of 666,567 images, scattered across multiple folders and drives following a bit of a cull in Lightroom).  Is there any way to save that information, to allow those images to be selected immediately, to be used to remove those images from the catalog? 

So far as I can see, the only way I can find to remove these images from the catalog is to search all via "", then apply the Edit ¦ Select Missing command.  But when you issue that command, the metadata is searched across all the files in the catalog again, to re-identify missing images.  For such a large number of images, that takes a long time  As I write this, the progress bar is less than 1/3 of the way along after maybe 10 minutes, and of course the Catalog Sync had itself taken a very long time in the first place.  It seems a waste of time for the Catalog Sync to identify the missing files but then discard that information, requiring it to be re-established via the Edit ¦ Select Missing command.  Is there in fact a way to remove the missing images from the Catalog Sync output without having to rescan using Edit ¦ Select Missing that I am missing?

As I write this, PM+ has just crashed and I will have to start the process all over again :(.   I let the Bug Splat report go out and hopefully you will have received this.

Graham

Offline Skids

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2023, 02:57:39 AM »
To save the details of a cat sync just select the items in the list and issue a system copy command, then paste the data into a text editor or similar.

On my machine with a catalog of 100k images the missing images are marked with a yellow dot, these may be selected via the edit menu then removed from the catalog.  The only slow down appears to be in updating the screen which is solved by hiding the screen then switching back to it.