Author Topic: Terrible Bug PM Preview Goes back to Random Photo Over and Over  (Read 5769 times)

Offline jkm

• View Profile
Terrible Bug PM Preview Goes back to Random Photo Over and Over
« on: October 12, 2020, 08:06:34 PM »
Was working on photos for several hours. In the middle of it an update popped up, about 20 minutes ago.

Updated.

Now every 2-3 minutes Photo Mechanic suddenly takes me from the preview of an image that I'm currently culling to a completely different image in a different folder.

Happens over and over and over. Yet it's not repeatable. Sometimes it happens after saving a crop. Sometimes it happens when returning to PM from an editor. Sometimes it just happens period for no reason at all.

Only consistent thing is that it seems to be returning to basically the same completely different image in a different folder.

Like somehow it thinks it is trying to restore state and go back to some image as if it thinks I was working on that one.

But I haven't worked on that image it goes back to for over 24 hours.

I've looked through all the preferences to see if there is a new "state resume" function that is "restoring" the preview window to some random image over and over.

Can't find anything.

Maybe you know what's going on.

Nothing like this has ever, ever happened before in years of using PM for millions of photos.

Thank you for your help!

Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 5216 (bafac3a)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Terrible Bug PM Preview Goes back to Random Photo Over and Over
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 08:28:50 PM »
Was working on photos for several hours. In the middle of it an update popped up, about 20 minutes ago.

Updated.

Now every 2-3 minutes Photo Mechanic suddenly takes me from the preview of an image that I'm currently culling to a completely different image in a different folder.

Happens over and over and over. Yet it's not repeatable. Sometimes it happens after saving a crop. Sometimes it happens when returning to PM from an editor. Sometimes it just happens period for no reason at all.

Only consistent thing is that it seems to be returning to basically the same completely different image in a different folder.

Like somehow it thinks it is trying to restore state and go back to some image as if it thinks I was working on that one.

But I haven't worked on that image it goes back to for over 24 hours.

I've looked through all the preferences to see if there is a new "state resume" function that is "restoring" the preview window to some random image over and over.

Can't find anything.

Maybe you know what's going on.

Nothing like this has ever, ever happened before in years of using PM for millions of photos.

Thank you for your help!

Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 5216 (bafac3a)

Very odd.  Can you make a screen capture video of the problem happening and share it with me, please?

And here's the link to the last build: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13494.0

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline jkm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 08:44:13 PM »
I went into the folder where the photo was that it kept returning to, and I have now been able to get it to snap to a different photo.

Here's what seems to trigger it the most reliably.

Beforehand:
Have previously cropped a photo from a folder somewhere and saved the crop to that same current folder.

Then to trigger it:
1) rate a new photo for the first time
2) then crop it, and save crop to the current folder
3) When crop is finished being saved, PM snaps the preview window to one of the previously cropped photos (could be in a totally different folder, or might be in the same one).

With earlier versions of PM, when a crop is saved in the current folder, I don't think anything happened. It just went into the same folder and then would be next in the photo stream of that folder. I had to use the next arrow or rate the photo in order to advance to the crop. It never tried to automatically jump to the cropped photo that was saved. And definitely never automatically jumped to some other previously cropped photo.

Offline jkm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 08:50:43 PM »
I have a 5K screen and it takes much too much storage to try to record long enough to repeat the bug.

It doesn't happen every photo.

I also can't record in the folder that it is happening in since the photos are proprietary. In fact, there really aren't any folders I can think of that I'm legally allowed to record and share with you.

I did try to make a video, though, but just generated vast amounts of video on my desktop every few seconds without the problem happening in the first two times I tried.

Offline jkm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 09:00:08 PM »
Installed the previous version from the link you sent and the issue is no longer happening.

What a relief. Couldn't get anything done when it was happening.

Thank you so much!

Offline martinomac

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 06:37:01 AM »
Don't mean to highjack this post but I'm experiencing similar bug as well. However, mine doesn't jump to random folders, rather it jumps back to the 1st image from the set that I'm culling.  Very annoying, had to revert to previous version.

Basically, during a cull I would then take a short break (few minutes), upon open returning to PM (not closes or minimized), it would jump to 1st image from the set.

Offline jkm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 07:50:47 PM »
I am definitely seeing this bug again after upgrading to the new regular build. Still seems random and can't find a pattern. Super, super difficult to work with.

Have tried to screen record it twice. Both times it didn't do it.

Literally does it 9 times out of 10 the rest of the time, though.

Ultra frustrating and makes one want to scream. Doubles the amount of time to get anything done.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 05:10:32 PM »
This problem is addressed in Photo Mechanic 6, build 5260.  You can read about it here: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13622.0

-Kirk

Offline prplegophr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 06:14:40 PM »
Yeah... still not fixed for me. OSX, latest build of PM. Continues to reset to the first photo.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 08:55:46 PM »
Yeah... still not fixed for me. OSX, latest build of PM. Continues to reset to the first photo.

Under what circumstances?  Please tell me what I need to do in order to reproduce the problem.  I will fix it as soon as I can reproduce the problem.

-Kirk

Offline prplegophr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 05:46:36 AM »
1. One window, one contact sheet tab. Typically between 800-5000 photos in the folder the contact sheet tab is open to. All Nikon .NEF files

2. Hit space bar to open an image in the preview window. Use left and right keys to scroll.

3. Hit escape to close preview window.

4. Contact sheet tab no longer highlights the image i was on. In fact, it no longer highlights *any* image (there is no "1" displayed on the contact sheet tab at the top of the windown.

5. Hitting space bar at this point brings up a preview window of the very first image of the contact sheet tab. Not the image I was originally at when I initially closed the preview window.

Generally speaking, this happened 75% of the time in the build just prior to this. In the current build, it happens 45% of the time. In the previous-previous build, this never happened.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 10:09:55 AM »
1. One window, one contact sheet tab. Typically between 800-5000 photos in the folder the contact sheet tab is open to. All Nikon .NEF files

2. Hit space bar to open an image in the preview window. Use left and right keys to scroll.

3. Hit escape to close preview window.

4. Contact sheet tab no longer highlights the image i was on. In fact, it no longer highlights *any* image (there is no "1" displayed on the contact sheet tab at the top of the windown.

5. Hitting space bar at this point brings up a preview window of the very first image of the contact sheet tab. Not the image I was originally at when I initially closed the preview window.

Generally speaking, this happened 75% of the time in the build just prior to this. In the current build, it happens 45% of the time. In the previous-previous build, this never happened.

Thanks.  Could you post a screen shot of your Preview preferences from the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog, please?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline prplegophr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 10:10:57 AM »
attached!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 08:48:02 AM »
Thank you for the screenshot.  So far we're unable to reproduce the problem by following your steps.  Are you sure that you're doing absolutely nothing but using the arrow keys (navigating from image to image) prior to pressing the escape key to close the Preview window?  You're not saving/copying/deleting images?  You're not switching out of Photo Mechanic 6 and making changes to the file system and then switching back to the Preview window and continuing before closing it?

We found a different problem and I fixed it and it's possible that it's related to your issue.  I'll make a new macOS build for you if you would like to try it?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline prplegophr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 09:28:39 AM »
That is correct, on all your questions.

And absolutely!