Author Topic: Operator error  (Read 1778 times)

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
Operator error
« on: October 15, 2020, 11:58:30 AM »
O.K., I got myself into a bit of a mess here.  I'm pretty sure I know what happened but that doesn't help me get out of the situation.  But before I ask about my main problem I would like to ask another question first.

I have installed and purchased PM+ as an upgrade to PM6.  So now I have a working copy of both PM6 and PM+.  By design, if I update the metadata (or move) a catalogued image using PM+ then the catalogue is updated appropriately.  But if I inadvertently use PM6 to make the changes, then I assume that the catalog is not updated.  Is this correct?  Is my best course of action to remove PM6 from my machine since it is no longer providing me with any additional capabilities?

On to my current problem.  Here's what I have been doing.  I ingest my raw files (raw only).  I cull, rename and add metadata.  I add them to my working catalogue.  I then select those photos that I wish to further process and copy these to a separate folder.  I then use my raw editor to process these photos and produce jpegs.  I then copy both the raw file and the jpegs back to my original folder (with the copy set to overwrite). The reason I copy the raw file back is because I want my edits (filebase.org.pp3 files) copied as well and I don't think that would occur if I just copied the jpegs.  Anyway it seems that my "bombing" of my catalogued raw files is causing issues.  If I browse by capture date (my file structure is based on capture date) in the organizer tab, everything looks fine.  However, if I now right click on one of the raw files that I have bombed and select "open in context", I get a navigator window of the appropriate directory, but that raw file is now shown as not being included in the catalog.

So I guess my question is, how do I bring everything back into sync?

However, as I type this question out, it occurs to me that while the "navigator window" view of the status of that file is wrong, it probably doesn't matter with anything that I would want to do to that file going forward.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Operator error
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 12:09:14 PM »
Bob,

O.K., I got myself into a bit of a mess here.  I'm pretty sure I know what happened but that doesn't help me get out of the situation.  But before I ask about my main problem I would like to ask another question first.

I have installed and purchased PM+ as an upgrade to PM6.  So now I have a working copy of both PM6 and PM+.  By design, if I update the metadata (or move) a catalogued image using PM+ then the catalogue is updated appropriately.  But if I inadvertently use PM6 to make the changes, then I assume that the catalog is not updated.  Is this correct?  Is my best course of action to remove PM6 from my machine since it is no longer providing me with any additional capabilities?

You are correct.  I suggest that you stop using PM6 if you're going to be using Photo Mechanic Plus.  Photo Mechanic Plus does everything that PM6 does and more.

On to my current problem.  Here's what I have been doing.  I ingest my raw files (raw only).  I cull, rename and add metadata.  I add them to my working catalogue.  I then select those photos that I wish to further process and copy these to a separate folder.  I then use my raw editor to process these photos and produce jpegs.  I then copy both the raw file and the jpegs back to my original folder (with the copy set to overwrite). The reason I copy the raw file back is because I want my edits (filebase.org.pp3 files) copied as well and I don't think that would occur if I just copied the jpegs.  Anyway it seems that my "bombing" of my catalogued raw files is causing issues.  If I browse by capture date (my file structure is based on capture date) in the organizer tab, everything looks fine.  However, if I now right click on one of the raw files that I have bombed and select "open in context", I get a navigator window of the appropriate directory, but that raw file is now shown as not being included in the catalog.

That seems odd.  Did the RAW files get named in some way?  If not, you said you now have JPEGs too.  Are you viewing your RAW and JPEG images combined into a single thumbnail?  If so, that's probably the issue.  The JPEGs are not in the catalog, but when they're paired, they're used as the 'main' image.  You can either select them all and Include in Catalog (from the Catalog menu), or you can use the Quick mode of the Catalog Sync feature to bring them into your catalog(s).

HTH,

-Kirk