Author Topic: different behaviour between Mac and  (Read 2400 times)

Offline guill69f

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
different behaviour between Mac and
« on: October 17, 2020, 03:04:02 AM »
Hi,

I have set-up catalogs in my 2 machines (MacBook Pro and Win10 PC), following same configuration steps, but in the end I notice different behaviours. Is it a user problem or a software issue?

From both machines, I am trying to access local network shares, and i verified before the scans that the shares are visible from the machines.

Screenshot 1 shows Win10 config. Issue: at the bottom left, task "catalog folder scanning" stays stuck on status "scanning: Found 0 items" and scan status at bottom right doesn't show any scan log. No pictures are imported to catalog (which would be on my Win10 machine a second catalog, i already setup one without any problem)
Screenshot 2 shows MacOS config. Issue (cosmetic): "Folders to scan" doesn't show any folder path, but scan status shows log and actually pictures are correctly imported to catalog

Anyone else did similar observations?

/G

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: different behaviour between Mac and
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 09:35:21 AM »
Hi,

I have set-up catalogs in my 2 machines (MacBook Pro and Win10 PC), following same configuration steps, but in the end I notice different behaviours. Is it a user problem or a software issue?

From both machines, I am trying to access local network shares, and i verified before the scans that the shares are visible from the machines.

Screenshot 1 shows Win10 config. Issue: at the bottom left, task "catalog folder scanning" stays stuck on status "scanning: Found 0 items" and scan status at bottom right doesn't show any scan log. No pictures are imported to catalog (which would be on my Win10 machine a second catalog, i already setup one without any problem)

Looks like a bug to me.  For now, if you can assign a drive letter to the volume, I expect that it will work correctly on the Windows version.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 09:36:43 AM »

Screenshot 2 shows MacOS config. Issue (cosmetic): "Folders to scan" doesn't show any folder path, but scan status shows log and actually pictures are correctly imported to catalog

What was the actual path that you added on the macOS version?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline rienvanham

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 11:41:59 PM »
Perhaps a stupid answer but on my machine all UNC-paths have backslashes:

\\server\path
\\10.0.0.41\pictures

Couldn't that be the problem?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 09:17:51 AM »
Hi,

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic log.  In Photo Mechanic go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder/Windows Explorer window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.  Please do this on both your Windows and macOS systems.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline guill69f

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 12:08:42 PM »
Log for windows install.
Mac install will follow tomorrow in the coming days

I just did a test with drive letter: no difference
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 01:18:52 PM by guill69f »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 02:41:43 PM »
Log for windows install.
Mac install will follow tomorrow in the coming days

I just did a test with drive letter: no difference

We're seeing some exceptions in your log but none of them show a path with a drive letter.  Is the log you provided created after you tried assigning a drive letter to your network drive and then running the Scan to Catalog operation?

-Kirk

Offline guill69f

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 12:49:06 PM »
And the log from the Mac...
On the question above: I used a drive letter after getting the log. Will repeat the process on the PC when I'll close the Mac and send a new log for the Win install if you wish.

[edit]: on the pc now, i used drive letter now and it works fine now, not sure why... must have done something wrong yesterday... beside the issue i reported on my mac, nothing else. this week end I'll be removing the catalog on the mac and will create a new one to see if i still have the problem
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 01:23:01 PM by guill69f »