Author Topic: Metadata Info Panel  (Read 1685 times)

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Metadata Info Panel
« on: September 19, 2022, 03:59:32 PM »
Hi,
I have two Metadata template: Analogic and Digital.
The first one is for positive scanned films and the second one for digital camera files.
I work with both in my archive, having mixed selections.
My problem is that when I am working on a digital file the selected template need to be Digital and when I am working on a scanned image the template need to  Analogic. But I dont have a mean to know which one is active.
In my Template I have fields where I write my Info, I can modify or improve and a unique field Description/Caption where all Info is resumed.
When I refresh Metadata with Apply Metadata template in the Info Panel then Description/Caption are updated, but if dont match with the active Metadata Template it mix all the data.
I would like from the Info Panel to know which one Template is active.

Thanks for helping, Leo

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Metadata Info Panel
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 04:44:04 PM »
It sounds like you may be loading XMP files to load a Template and may benefit from usinghttps://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001142336-snapshots

Load each file and then create a snapshot according to the steps in the document. Then, when you select a snapshot, you will see the name of the snapshot that you loaded at the top of the Metadata Template window.

Will this do what you are looking for?

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 05:05:15 PM »
Hi, I need the active template to show up in the Info Metadata panel

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 08:59:17 AM »
Hi,
More details,
I have four snapshot, Analogic, Digital, Cameratrap and NFT's
When I start with an image from the Metadata Info panel, I choose the apropriate snapshot, then I start to set caption, keywords, etc.
When ready, I update with the Apply Metadata Template button.
But to update correctlly the same snapshot need to be active in the Metadata Template... if not my Description field do not have the correct info. Then I need to exit the Info panel, go to the Template, set the matching snapshot and back to the Info panel to update my Description field.

On this link you can see two diferent Metadata, Analogic for the first image and Digital the second one.
https://leonideprincipe.site/river-dolphin/

Thank you for helping, Leo

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 10:38:09 AM »
On your Metadata Template, load your snapshot and fill in a metadata field that you are not using with the the name of the snapshot, and then save a new snapshot with the same name to overwrite the current snapshot. Then, when you apply the template, that field will be populated, and you'll know which snapshot you applied to that image. As long as it is an unused field on your website or wherever else you are uploading to, I don't know of a negative consequence to having another field filled out with that information. If that doesn't work for you, I think it might be best if we set up a time to discuss this request on a phone call. Email support@camerabits.com and we can figure out a time that works.

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 11:42:49 AM »
Hi haoward, I am aware that my english is bad to explain correctly, but I will try to do my best.
When I am on the Info panel, an image that I identify as Digital will receive the first set from Digital snapshot, then I set Caption, Keywords, etc. but before updating with Apply Metadata template button I need to be sure that the snapshot Digital is set on the Metadata Template panel. Sometime it is not, and is where I am in trouble, because my image info mix Digital with Analogic, if Analogic is set in the Metadata panel.
For example: The Metadata template is set to Digital and I open the Info panel of a Digital image, I can edit and update with Apply Metadata template. No problem here. If edit a lot of Digital image, no problem. If, later, I have an Analogic image that I edit in the Info panel and I update with Apply Metadata Template button, all work is lost. I have to exit without saving, I have to go in the Metadata Template and change the snapshot to Analogic, then back to the Info panel of the Analogic image, edit again and update with Apply Metadata Template again.
Sure, I would like to know in the Info panel which snapshot is active and eventually modify to match with the one I am working at the moment.

I hope that is now more understandable.

About the phone call, it is much more harder for me to explain and understand. Writing is the best communication I can do in english.

Thank for helping, Leo

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 12:37:04 PM »
Hi Leo,

Thank you for describing the issue.  Here is my suggestion:

When you are on the Metadata Info screen and you want to apply a specific saved snapshot (Analog or Digital) you do not need to use the "Apply Metadata Template" button. If you want to apply a specific saved metadata snapshot, then select that saved snapshot with the snapshot icon, and then press the OK button. You will always know exactly which metadata template you are loading.

I made a video showing how to do this:
https://www.loom.com/share/b7db986b3f24426fa5a6b6bcb9df6f5f

There is also the tip that you can click the "copy" button before applying a saved metadata template if you are worried about losing work.

Does this help you?

Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 05:53:37 PM »
Hi Mick, thank you for your support,
I will study your suggestion, please, give me a few days to check

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 09:00:41 AM »
Hi Mick, I figured out how to apply your suggestion to my workflow.
Confess you that I found some difficulties:
First, I dont work with Events, my job is Stock Photography, then I came back to photos and I adapt Metadata to the new situation or I improve, specially the Caption, that need to be very rich and detailed.
Second, I work each image as singular, no batch edit.
Third, the most important field for me is the Desciption/Caption field, where I resume all the Metadata Info.
For those reasons I have only 4 generic snapshot, that I apply only when Metadata Info is empty. From here, I can edit several time the Info panel and just update with the Apply Metadata Template. Everithing go well if the snapshot originally applied to the image match with the active Snapshot in the Metadata Template panel.
Please, feel free to ask more detail, thanks, Leo

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 09:40:43 AM »
Hi Leo,

My suggestion is meant to be used exactly as you describe: Only one image at a time, not in batch.

When you say this "For those reasons I have only 4 generic snapshot, that I apply only when Metadata Info is empty. From here, I can edit several time the Info panel and just update with the Apply Metadata Template."

The change I suggest is to NOT use "Apply Metadata Template" and select the snapshot you need directly from the "lightning bolt" icon instead.  That is the only change.  Have you tried that?

Mick

Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 10:40:51 AM »
Yes, I tried, it delete the Info I introduced, Apply Metadata Template instead.
Actually Snapshot substitute, Apply Metadata Template update, at least in my configuration, maybe I need to change settings...

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 10:56:37 AM »
Pressing "Apply Metadata Template" also erases whatever you have typed into the form. It does the same thing. So now we are not sure what you are asking.
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 11:35:24 AM »
The fields that I edit are unticked in the Metadata template and untouched when I press Apply Metadata Template button, which only update the Description/Caption field, that is exactly what I want. This way works very well for me except if the Metadata Template snapshot dont match with the snapshot I originally applied to the Info panel. This is because I need a frequent work on metadata of the same image, changing and improving

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 12:47:09 PM »
You said "I have to go in the Metadata Template and change the snapshot to Analogic, then back to the Info panel". I am saying that you can choose the Analogic snapshot when you are still in the Info panel, it does the exact same thing. You do not have to leave and go back. it will leave the same fields untouched.

Are you saying you have figured this out and don't need any more suggestions?

If you have more questions you might try to record your screen to show what you are doing. That might help explain what you need.

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 01:51:57 PM »
Hi Mick, if I choose again in Info panel snapshot, it delete everything I set and back to the original layout, I have lost many data doing that. On the other side Apply Metadata template dont arms my data, because of the unticked field. I used this method for some years now. But we are looking to improve...
I cannot say that I have the solution, I see that my workflow sound strange to you, but, I repete, it works fine for me, except this permanent attention to know which one of the Metadata Template snapshot is active. I would like to activate it from the Info panel, but this action reset fields to zero.
If there is no solution for my case this will not decrease my admiration for Photo Mechanics.